WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[closed] 2.8 Problems and Solutions (FAQ) (112 posts)

1. Li-An
    Posted 4 years ago #

OK, I found why I had problems to update: a function in my function.php file was obsolete - trying to create a button in the edition interface. So you can try to active the default theme if you get the same problem as me to see if your theme is not guilty...

2. Jonas Grumby
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thanks for the heads-up. I just went to the Themes page in admin and saw that there was an upgrade available for the theme. I upgraded and I can already see that the "Search Plugins" button is now working. Lightbox2 is still not working, but good idea to try switching themes to see if it makes a difference. I really didn't think a theme could cause problems w/ the admin interface, but there you have it.

3. rhmercer
    Posted 4 years ago #

What a total cock-up in trying to update! I would rather have all my teeth pulled without anaesthetic than attempt this exercise again! Thank God that other programmes do not have such a convoluted mess of updating - what is so difficult in just updating like everyone else? Firstly automatic update wouldn't work........couldn't connect to the server no matter what! Tried to follow the manual update section but don't have the necessary degree in stupidity. Tried to go back to the old version.....wound up with two of each wp directories.....ie wp-admin etc.,. Got rid of those that were not relevant and now not only cannot edit new posts....get the message viz., Warning: require(/home/rhmercer/public_html/blog/wp-includes/compat.php)[I have never even seen such a file!] [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rhmercer/public_html/blog/wp-settings.php on line 246

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/rhmercer/public_html/blog/wp-includes/compat.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/rhmercer/public_html/blog/wp-settings.php on line 246
    Try to access my blog from my home page and got another problem.....just a listing of files under the heading "index of blog". Question: is there any way I can delete this rubbish I now have, install 2.8 clean and import my blogs? Else I will surely be looking for a new, simpler, programme!

4. jmarx34
    Posted 4 years ago #

I went through this terrible upgrade, and after hours of trying to get everything working properly again, I have everything except for one widget that I need to activate in my sidebar. However, I cannot drag the widget over. I've tried all the steps people discuss about de-activating all plugins...didn't work. I tried clearing the browser cache and restarting the browser...nada. And Screen Options won't open up for me to try changing the accessibility options. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to manually set the Screen Options accessibility, or if there is a way to manually add a widget into the sidebar (easily)? All help is greatly appreciated.

5. TJ Kelly
    Posted 4 years ago #

The "Events Manager" plugin causes these problems too.

With the plugin enabled, I can't:
    - Add tags to pages/posts
    - Edit the page/post slug
    - Manage media options with Flash uploader
    - Use WordPress.com Stats plugin
    - See Incoming Links

Disabling the plugin makes /wp-admin/ run perfectly, but the events & the plugin are CRUCIAL to my site, so I can't disable it. I've had to disable the plugin temporarily while I make page/post edits, and then re-enable it when I'm done.

I posted about this error at the Plugin site, but I haven't gotten a response.

6. phildunseath
    Posted 4 years ago #

Looks like everyone has had different experiences. I was having blank admin screen after login. The things that worked for me were fresh re-install of wp-includes and wp-admin folders. I had tried all the other tips, wp-config spaces, memory limit, disabling plugins, re-naming theme folder and so on.

7. nupareep
    Posted 4 years ago #

I try on local host and hostmonster, it look like okay that good experiences with me *-*.

8. alexmglover
    Posted 4 years ago #

I went through this forum doing everything that everyone has said to do. I did finally figure out that it was my theme causing the problem. It is a custom theme, with the "whiteboard" theme as the base. This hasn't been a problem until a few days ago, so I know the base theme isn't the problem.

Does anyone have any clue what part of my code would be interfering with the ajax in the admin panel?

9. foekieq
    Posted 4 years ago #

The menu of the WYSIWYG editor stops working at once. No reason why. The only things which work is add media and the HTML and WYSIWYG button.

Also, the text form is not working properly. Text turns out to be white.

Had this 2 times today on a fresh installation. Try removing admin and wp-include folders. also all the PHP files except config.php. Also keep the .htaccess.

10. ArtBaker
    Posted 4 years ago #

For me, it was the plugin WP-Amazon ver 2.1 -- after deactivating that all is good.

11. jarr_online
    Posted 4 years ago #

alexmglover, I had the same problem with my self-made theme and dashboard conflict.

And I think I found the answer. For my case the problem was caused by jquery loading deactivation in my theme.

Look at your functions.php and remove something like that:
    wp_deregister_script('jquery');

It seems jquery deactivation in the theme leads to its deactivation in dashboard also and it's obviously crashes all the dashboard javascript based functionality.

12. MaxiesGal
    Posted 4 years ago #

@MichaelH:

Thanks ! Your suggestion below allowed all my sections stating "loading" to reappear again, and I have not noticed any slow down.

Running 2.8.4, Magaling theme, only plugins are what came with Magaling, only have 'comments' widget enacted. No Gears here.

Regards,
    Cat

6. Add define( 'CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false ); near the top of wp-config.php. That would make WordPress admin run slower, so can try removing it in a few days and testing again (this would eliminate any stale network cache)

13. casevos
    Posted 4 years ago #

We have been having trouble with the visual editor and losing posts and the programmer reported the following resolve/issue:

When PHP is invoked by CGI/CLI method and/or FastCGI method, the TinyMCE editor on the add and edit page breaks, and does not appear. Php then dumps core in main directory. I can post that core if you would like.

This can be fixed by setting PHP to be invoked directly by apache's mod_php.so as is done in default install of php.

As this bug has been identified and can be easily replicated, is there any way it can be fixed? I would very much like to go back to using CGI/CLI/FastCGI method for proper suexec operations.

14. 1xxooxx
    Posted 4 years ago #

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/333995
    TAGS NOT WORKING! I tried..
    - deactivating plugins
    - changing plugin folder
    - changing theme

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/333995

15. themonarch
    Posted 4 years ago #

I was able to get the Visual Editor working again on my WordPress 2.8 version and thought I would share what worked for me. I tried most of the tips here (pages 1 - 2) and none of them restored the Visual Editor.

From the WordPress archives page, I re-downloaded a fresh copy of the zip/tar file and unpackaged it.

My thought was, perhaps my FTP client is corrupting (by not transferring file types in the correct format (ASCII or BINARY) or something of that nature. I was using GFTP on Linux. So, I used a different FTP program – FileZilla - still on Linux. As a note, I use Firefox (Iceweasel) as a browser with no extensions.

**Save a backup of your existing files before attempting any overwrites** To quickly save a backup, just rename the folder on your server to something like “wp-admin-backup” and then upload the wp-admin folder fresh.

I connected to my FTP site and for ALL the WordPress folders and files I completely overwrote all the existing files using FileZilla.

As a note, this next step may or may not be necessary – I also looked at the folder permissions and reset them - but exactly matching what they were. For example, if the file permission was 755, I used my FTP program to issue the “set to 755″ command again. I wanted to make sure that the folders were current with permission for the default domain FTP user I was logging in with.

Voila! I have the Visual Editor back!

16. Hostels
    Posted 4 years ago #

For people who can't add tags in WordPress 2.8, check if deactivating WP Events Calendar fixes it. See also this thread:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/326448

WP Events Calendar 6.6-beta currently breaks the Dashboard JavaScript that handles tags.

17. Donpa
    Posted 4 years ago #

We´ve been having a couple of problems with the tags getting stored properly after upgrading to 2.8.6. Before the update it stored the relationship between the posts and the tags in the "wp_terms_relationship" table. After we updated it doesn´t seem to work that way anymore. But it stores it somewhere since it pulls out the tags correctly on the single post page. But it breaks on one of our other pages since it relies on the relationship getting stored in the wp_terms_relationship table.

Could someone please help me with how the tags/posts relationship get´s stored now?

Thanks in advance folks!

18. Naeem
    Posted 4 years ago #

Resolved Visual Editor issue. Had the same issue since last 2 months..

Just downloaded the wordpress source from wordpress.org. and replaced my old wp-includes folder with new one. And all is fine now :) Now my all blogs are working fine.

And yes, i got this idea from this link:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/279132?replies=13

19. ohbrooke
    Posted 4 years ago #

My SOLVE:

- ended up being too many page revisions causing the page to not finish loading (you can check by viewing the source code and seeing if the whole page code is there or if it stops in the page revisions)

I installed this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/delete-revision/, dumped the old reviisons, and now it's working.

20. alexrosca
    Posted 4 years ago #

Add define( 'CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false ); near the top of wp-config.php. That would make WordPress admin run slower, so can try removing it in a few days and testing again (this would eliminate any stale network cache)
    This solution worked for me really fine after trying everything. Using WP 2.9.2

21. efal
    Posted 4 years ago #

Is WordPress 2.9.2 really difficult to manage? My site is http://brightlight-thoughts.com and I have 2 recent posts. When I went to my sidebar menu on my homepage and tried to open my posts, the posts didn't open. I'm a newbie and don't know how to solve the problem. Please help.

22. efal, please start your own thread.

I'm closing this thread because it was supposed to be an FAQ for WordPress 2.8, which is now obsolete.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic