WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[closed] 2.8 Problems and Solutions (FAQ) (112 posts)

1. lindafar
    Posted 5 years ago #

I can't even get the automatic upgrade to download - I'm getting the following error:

Downloading update from http://wordpress.org/wordpress-2.8.zip

Download failed.: name lookup timed out

Installation Failed

Any ideas on where to start with this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to deactivate all my plugins FIRST, then the upgrade went fine (so far).

Suggestion: the Automatic Upgrade instructions should indicate to deactivate plugins first, THEN do the upgrade. IMHO.

2. glutenfreepost
    Posted 5 years ago #

Upgraded, can't login and getting error message
    In a few cases, the error message reports what plugin file is causing the problem so rename or delete the plugin folder, then try login again.

FYI when I upgraded to 2.8 my permissions to log in were gone. I had to call my host so they could set them back to 755

3. tacomamama
    Posted 5 years ago #

For some reason this thread is not showing up as a sticky. Someone should fix that as many, many people are having problems.

4. robynlynn007
    Posted 5 years ago #

I loaded a tester wp set-up to test a new theme, using the new upgrade for wp and it was working fine...then suddenly blank page. Deactivated the 1 plugin I had and still nothing...

Any other ideas...so frustrating!

5. lordxtina
    Posted 5 years ago #

For those who are having a problem in the admin panel (ajax/JS not working), it could be because of the category icon plugin. If you are using that, you might want to check this out:

http://www.category-icons.com/2009/06/category-icons-patch-for-wordpress-28

=) Happy blogging y'all!

6. J3551C4
    Posted 5 years ago #

My situation is a bit odd. I have managed to get 2.8 working with plugins that do not conflict. My problem now is that any time one of the working plug ins is upgraded, it makes the "Other News" box on home page and sometimes it removes the time option and save button from the general settings page. After each plugin upgrade, I have to go back in, deactivate all plug ins and reactivate them again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm kinda like ????? Simply because I have everything working perfectly and when i upgrade any plugin this happens. So weird.

Thank you!

7. J3551C4
    Posted 5 years ago #

8. larryinvegas
    Posted 5 years ago #

I think it was 2.7 that caused a problem when I tried to register a MaxBlogPress plugin that I needed. I used ftp to downgade back to the previous version, registered the plugin, and then upgraded again. Worked fine. (Believe I left the wp-config.php file and wp-content folder unchanged.)

Just as I caught onto html...php came out, so I guess I'm an experienced novice. I"m curious...

With all the problems everyone seems to be having with 2.8, wouldn't it be just as easy to downgrade back to 2.7.1 and wait a couple of weeks until the inevitable bug-fixed 2.8.1 version is released?

9. WebPastorMike
    Posted 5 years ago #

I found two problems by going through the deactivation of all the plug-ins and reactivating them one by one.

The one was a wayward plug in that when I got that out of the way, then I found my simplepie problem. Simplepie, for those who need a reminder like I did, powers news feeds. The problem was with the SimplePie core, which I discovered would not work with 2.8 But fortunately by typing SimplePie into the plug in search, I found that there is now a specific WordPress SimplePie plugin that does not crash when activated.

I hope this helps someone. Really do go through each of the Plug-ins, it helps. De-activate all your plug-ins. Then starting at the top, Activate one and then click on the help tab. If help opens, that plug in is ok. Move on to the next plug-in and repeat.

Thanks so much to all of the friendly and patient members and moderators. All of this is so much better when we leave out our frustration with ourselves, and with beginners like me.

10. davcarst
    Posted 5 years ago #

Hi,
    The issue I've noticed with 2.8 pertains to categories and posts. Late last night while adding tags to a post, I noticed after publishing that one of my tags is also now listing in the categories. I've deleted the tag/category and re-added it and it still displays as both a tag a category. How do I correct this and get my tag to only display as a tag?

11. the390
    Posted 5 years ago #

I upgraded to 2.8 and my blog site reverted to blogs posted on 4-17-2009, later blogs are given thier own page id and i can only find them through the dashboard. To put them on the front of the blog I have to check stick on front page. But they still don't go in any order. Please help?

12. Jonas Grumby
    Posted 5 years ago #

@figaro

Is it possible to downgrade from 2.8 back to 2.7.1? Part of the upgrade procedure is some modification of the database.

Honestly, it seems like it might be easier for me to downgrade any sites that are having problems and wait for new versions of the plugins to come out than to try to fix them.

Thanks

13. jordy1
    Posted 5 years ago #

Here's a little humor. The 2.8 download is still available...lol ha. It's on the wordpress.org page. Funny joke ha. Not

14. larryinvegas
    Posted 5 years ago #

I used to love working with WordPress, but absolutely hate 2.8! Can't see anything in the visual editor, and it takes twice as long to drag 'n drop the widgets as it did with the "add widget" link. Absolutely horrible!! May end up downgrading all of my blogs back to 2.7.1 and never upgrading again.

15. larryinvegas
    Posted 5 years ago #

Yes, Minnow...you can downgrade. Leave your wp-config.php file and wp-content folder untouched. Deactivate all your plugins first. When I downgraded, I made no changes or modifications to the database. Worked fine.

16. the390
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks larry...but i am newbie...I know how to deactivate my plugins...but how do i downgrade from there?

17. jordy1
    Posted 5 years ago #

Better check your rss widget. I just discovered that the rss feed URL on mine was disabled during the upgrade disaster. I wonder if Google and Yahoo will ever love me like they did before this hit my authority site.

My traffic went down by 2/3 when this mess happened to my blog. I finally got it working again but it has cost dearly. I was wondering why there was such a sudden drop in traffic. The rss feed URL that got dumped explains a lot.

I lost loads of traffic which means I last loads of revenue.

18. ptvguy
    Posted 5 years ago #

Let me add the WP Security Scan plugin to the list of plugins that mess up the new 2.8 widget admin section. However, it's worth noting that the new 2.8.1 maintenance release is already addressing a number of issues mentioned here (http://wordpress.org/development/2009/06/wordpress-2-8-1-beta-1/) including greenshady's (Justin Tadlock) older category call function.

19. Gemma Wild
    Posted 5 years ago #

I followed the advice of de-activating all the plug ins and re-activating them one by one.

On my blog, the culprit was the Default Post Content plug in. I am going to let the author know that he has a problem with his plug in and it needs to be updated.

20. djd
    Posted 5 years ago #

I've tried as many of these things as I am (technically) able to... The problem for me is that I CAN add pages or posts, but I CAN'T add any content to them via the editor... any suggestions welcome.

21. djd
    Posted 5 years ago #

Oh, and I can't select the HTML tab in the editor either...

22. lilianhorsg
    Posted 5 years ago #

Hi, can someone please help me?

I set up a blog about a week ago and did a upgrade to 2.8 via the GoDaddy Hosting Connection. I have no idea on the technical stuff and don't even know where the database is and how to access it, let alone do all those rectification mentioned here. I did not backup anything because I don't know where and how to do it that's is why I chose to have GoDaddy Hosting Connection to do my upgrade thinking they have the technical expertise.

Now my site is gone and I can't even log into my dashboard. I have this error.
    500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Please help asap.

23. ptvguy
    Posted 5 years ago #

Have them restore you to a backup.

24. larryinvegas
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm still having problems with this stupid "drag 'n drop" widget arrangement. When I try to do so, the widget grows to page width and won't drop into the sidebar. What was the problem with the old "add" link? Seemed to work much better and easier. I'm totally disgusted with 2.8!

25. menoob
    Posted 5 years ago #

@larryinvegas

You can still do the "Add" link method by enabling accessibility mode in Screen options. That's what I'm using now because of the "drag 'n drop" problem.

26. larryinvegas
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks, menoob! Drag 'n drop seems to work on my home computer, although it takes forever. But when I tried it on a computer at work...the widget tab would grow to screen length like I explained and wouldn't even drop into the sidebar. I appreciate your suggestion.

27. Jonas Grumby
    Posted 5 years ago #

@larryinvegas - I had to do what menoob said on one site as well, and it does alleviate the problem.

I also have a new site where I can't assign a page order. They only display in alphabetical order no matter what numbers I assign to them in the "Order" box. Client is complaining about that. I may try putting his site on the 2.8.1-dev update. Lightbox2 is not working on that site either, and when I click the Search Plugins button on that site nothing happens. I already tried deactivating & reactivating all of the plugins, and using a different browser. I have not tried re-uploading the scripts maually. I guess it can't hurt.

28. finis33
    Posted 5 years ago #

I am having a problem with images not displaying from within WP after the upgrade to 2.8. I just get boxes with ?'s in them. If I click on the box and choose to view the image in another tab or new window, it views fine.

I have downgraded back to 2.7 and the problem remains and have now upgraded to 2.8.1 and still the problem remains. Anyone else having this issue?

29. finis33
    Posted 5 years ago #

BTW, my website is http://www.TechnoEsq.com.

30. neorackle
    Posted 5 years ago #

For those who need helps to deactivate the plugins via phpMyAdmin if you cant access it via admin dashboard, I have provided tutorial with picture guide for you.

Don't worry, it is easy.

Tutorial deactivate plugins via phpMyAdmin

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic