• Resolved scottevil

(@scottevil)

I’ve searched around and found a few others that have issues similar to mine. Some suggestions were made but none helped me.

I originally upgraded via WAUP…later on I find out that method isn’t ideal. So I followed some instructions in the codex on how to reinstall by hand while leaving the plugins folder (I believe) alone…can’t find those instructions now.

Anyway, when trying to Auto upgrade my plug ins I get a message like this:

Downloading plugin package from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/sociable.3.0.2.zip

Download failed.: Operation timed out with 169360 out of -1 bytes received

Installation Failed

I’ve disabled and deleted WAUP
    I’ve upgraded the DBase to PHP 5
    I’ve cleared browser cache
    I’ve tried multiple browsers
    I’ve disabled any WP cache plugins
    …still nothing

Most of the time when I’m browsing for plugins to test install via the dashboard it simply says “An unknown error occurred” and I have to close the popup screen.

I’ve noticed several posts about people being prompted to input FTP info for the dashboards’ plugin installer to work…I’ve never once seen a prompt for this. This has me thinking that something is left over from WAUP (core folder was removed from plugins directory) or the install didn’t happen right. I can’t find anywhere else to submit my FTP info to as I’m not prompted.

Can anyone help with this? Is there some file I can delete to wipe out previous settings and start fresh? I thought I targeted everything when I reinstalled by hand.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thread Starter scottevil

(@scottevil)

Bump?

Ryan S

(@ryan_accuwebhosting)

When you click on “Upgrade Plugin”, the page wp-admin/update.php asks you for he FTP connection information. As you said, this does not happens with you. Hence it seems this file has been currupted or have some problem. You can try deleting and reinstalling this file.

Thread Starter scottevil

(@scottevil)

Thanks for the suggestion…I gave that a shot and no go…

Now I’m wondering if its my hosting provider (Network Solutions) or perhaps maybe the DBase is bonkers. Admin has always been slow for me so maybe its time I reinstall and import the old blog. I use a handful of plugins so downloading them again will be a pain.

Anybody have any last min suggestions before I try this?

Anybody have any good links on how to reinstall clean and import the database cleanly?

Thread Starter scottevil

(@scottevil)

I’m going to bump on this thread because I’m having another issue that I”m sure is related…

FYI…I still haven’t reinstalled WP just yet. Perhaps this issue will help me find the root problem instead of paving over with a new WP install.

My plugins are not always telling me to update. On the default dashboard they say I have a few to update…but when visiting the plugin page, none show they need to be updated and the left nav bar that shows how many updates showing 0.

Thoughts?

I have exactly the same problem with autmatic upgrade. Problem seems to be around since 2.7 came out but no-one found a solution yet.

Thread Starter scottevil

(@scottevil)

Good to know others have the same issue STILL and I’m not the only one.

I’m going to try and keep my thread alive by bumping it once every week or so and lurking on others to hopefully find the answer.

Maybe its my host but I haven’t seen my host mentioned when reading of others with the same problem.

Lets hope 2.7.1 fixes this mystery issue.

Thread Starter scottevil

(@scottevil)

Well well…my wish was granted.

2.7.1 seems to have fixed my issue. Closing this topic.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘2.7 Plugin Update Issues (FTP?)’ is closed to new replies.