WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.7 dashboard not consistent with site (7 posts)

1. mcs
    Posted 5 years ago #

Since upgrading to 2.7 my dashboard appears to be for a brand new blog, it shows only a sample page and post and WordPress Default theme with 0 widgets. Yet when I click the visit website button on the top left, it goes to http://www.marciashearer.com a dkret3 themed site with multiple pages, posts and widgets, which is my site. Why would the two not show the same content (pages, posts and theme etc.)

When I access the site through the visit site button and click edit for any of the pages, it reverts to the dashboard of wp version 2.6.? (whichever it would have been about 3 months ago)

My host has checked and all looks good in cpanel with the files. I had no plugins to delete and I have cleared my cache.

What have I done wrong? Or what additional information do I need to share to get some help?

Thanks in advance.

2. mcs
    Posted 5 years ago #

Is there a trick to getting a post responded to?

3. Roy
    Posted 5 years ago #

My guess is that you didn't leave the wp-config file alone like you should and you have created a new installation. You didn't perhaps follow the install WP instructions (with creating a database, etc.) instead of upgrading WP? Your blog still runs in 2.6.3!

4. mcs
    Posted 5 years ago #

I was totally confused about which files to delete when following the instructions since cpanel file manager has sooo many wp files and it was all Greek to me. So while asking my hosting co. for help (LunarPages) they offered to do the file removal for me, then I used fantastico to upgrade through them also.

At this point though, they say the problem is with WP since all the files and database are present and accounted for and functioning. If the wp-config file was messed with, is there a fix?

5. Change your wp-config.php to point to the old database, and it should work. If you have a backup (you do make backups, right?) of the file, just re-upload it.

Honestly, though, don't ask your host to 'upgrade' for you, since you can't really ever know what they did.

6. mcs
    Posted 5 years ago #

I tried pointing to the old database (if I did it correctly) I went into wp-config.php and changed the DB_NAME and DB_USER back to wrdp1 rather than the current wrdp2.

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
    /** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define('DB_NAME', 'marci19_wrdp2');

/** MySQL database username */
    define('DB_USER', 'marci19_wrdp2');

Then I got this message when I tried to log on:

Error establishing a database connection
    This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    Are you sure that the database server is running?
    If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

So did I do it wrong?

As for backups, I have them. I am just so clueless I don't know how to re-upload them. (I walked through set up originally blind and clueless so my learning curve is rather steep...) I can try to figure that out, but any help is appreciated.

7. mrmist
    Forum Janitor
    Posted 5 years ago #

The index page is dynamically generated so if it's showing your original content then it's either a) cached or b) correct.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic