WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 2.6 - Text won't wrap around images (27 posts)

1. jeffvehige
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm using the Seashore template. The upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.6 went fine . . . but now the text in my posts won't wrap around the images in a post. Since my blog is relatively new, I didn't have that many images in posts to begin with, and I removed the few there were. But for me images are essential for breaking up long post, and I write a lot of long posts.

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Most appreciated!

2. redhousepainter
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have the same problem. Enquired about it yesterday. Got no response.

I'll let you know if I figure something out. For now, I would look at the code from the posts that worked and try to reproduce it for the new posts.

3. 5starhiphop
    Posted 5 years ago #

i am having the same problem...but I haven't been able ti figure out what's going on.....

*waits for someone to help us*

4. lozy
    Posted 5 years ago #

find out what class or ID it's using in it's css and modify it so it works.

5. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

6. jeffvehige
    Posted 5 years ago #

Otto42 --

I did that, but the coding messed up my block quotes. Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the help!

7. jeffvehige
    Posted 5 years ago #

Never mind. Tried it again and got it to work this time. Don't know what I did differently, but it works.

Thanks.

8. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 5 years ago #

I still can't get it to work!!!!

I check the source code of my post, and it is missing style="float: left

I have to put that in manually to make it work!

9. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 5 years ago #

I still can't get it to work!!!!

I check the source code of my post, and it is missing style="float: left

I have to put that in manually to make it work!

10. BJ05
    Posted 5 years ago #

generally, I have been using hspace="xx" before the closing / where is is the pixel count you want. Seems to solve the problem for me but is a pain in the butt for something that should be automatic.

11. Sheiglagh
    Posted 5 years ago #

Otto42, your answer this problem was based on 2.5, the problem is 2.6. Sorry to be a party pooper to your reply, but it does not work!!! I installed 2.6 for a BRAND NEW blog for a client and the image problem (formatting as in align left, align right, vspace=XX hspace=XX) does not work even on an image that is being pulled from another source.

As for uploading an image, forget it. It won't even show on the page. I could see the image in the server, but when I call it, it is broken. In short, though 2.6 is supposed to be an upgrade to 2.5, it should go back to the drawing board.

Sounds like VISTA and XP, don't you think? I know that this comparison hurts being open source guys, but truly, 2.6 being 1 month early, perhaps, it needs more SQA

12. Sheiglagh
    Posted 5 years ago #

P.S. I checked the link on the GALLERY when I am on the image uploader, it says like this:

http:///?post_id=2&type=image&tab=gallery

Notice the the 3 forward slashes? How did it get there? Where is it being generated from the code so that I could delete that extra forward slash. Hopefully that will solve the problem

13. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

Sheiglagh: The answer is the same regardless of what version you're using, because it's CSS + theme editing, not core code.

Also, the "align" attribute is deprecated. WordPress no longer uses it. Instead, it uses classes of alignleft, alignright, aligncenter, and alignnone. You need to add code to your theme to make those classes do what you want them to do.

Look at the default theme. It works.

14. richmaster
    Posted 5 years ago #

Sorry Otto but I've been having the same problem and have tried your suggest but it didn't solve the problem. I updated to 2.5 the day it was released and everything worked. This problem only popped up yesterday when 2.6 was released so the problem obviously lies within something that was changed in that release.

15. Sheiglagh
    Posted 5 years ago #

Otto, thanks for the clarification. Do appreciate it. I'm not a PHP guru like yourself. (I am saying this with humility. Hard to accept it in a public forum like this)

But this has to be a problem with 2.6 itself. First, I noticed that the little icon for formatting the image is gone. Everything has to be done with the image uploader interface. The thing is, the image uploader HAD NEVER WORKED WELL with IE7 and though I'm not sure of this, someone just told me, in Safari either. I had to tell everyone to use Firefox if they want to have their images nicely formatted with their posts. (But this problem is for another discussion, not on this one)

Second, CSS, I can understand very well. But, I don't believe it is a CSS problem on this one because the CSS does not generate HTTP links. In short, the problem is not cosmetic. Like what richmaster said, it has to be something that changed in that release.

All of us just want this problem to be resolved. We are all here because we support WordPress and Open Source. My knowledge of PHP is limited at best, but still, there must be something that can be done to fix this on our level.

16. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

@richmaster: If that suggestion doesn't solve your problem, then you need to explain your problem more clearly, perhaps in its own thread.

@Sheiglagh: Many things changed about the image uploader in 2.6. However, the problem being *described here* about images not appearing right on the page is the one I'm talking about. If you are having some other problem, then you a) need to start your own thread for it and b) explain clearly what the issue is. I can try to help, but only if I understand WTF you're talking about.

The original problem described in this thread was "the text in my posts won't wrap around the images in a post". That's cosmetic. It is not an HTML issue. If you have an HTML issue, take it to its own thread, please. One problem per thread. The *original poster* to this thread has already posted saying that it did work.

17. NLXJ
    Posted 5 years ago #

That didnt work for me, either, otto. I added that css code directly to my stylesheet, and while everything looks fine in the "Visual" mode, as soon as I 'Preview this Post' it pops up in my style and there is no border, no caption, and no float/align behavior of the image. I have to go in each time to HTML and use ' align="left" ' etc.

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but not enough of a PHP person to know what it is. I've been banging style sheets around for years, but have no idea what to do past adding the classes to my css which I did.

If you need more info, let me know. Blog here.

18. NLXJ
    Posted 5 years ago #

oddly, otto, it works now. maybe everything needed a chance to...congeal. thanks. :)

to others, I just went to the new default theme css and copied the "captions" part and the image aligning part.

19. cuda
    Posted 5 years ago #

Hope this is helpful to someone.

I too had the text wrap issue, but resolved it. It was definitely a WP theme problem.

I had to add "#content" before each of the sections in Otto's step 9 before the text would wrap.

Now that I correctly inserted the code for "my particular theme" everything works great.

20. richmaster
    Posted 5 years ago #

Cuda: Can you give an example. I'm not sure what you mean. I have tried the other suggestions but none of them worked. My problem is that it doesn't add style="float: left;" to the html when pressing the left align button.

21. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

It doesn't have to add a style to the image, because it adds a CLASS to the image. So you need to make your theme's stylesheet connect that class to "float:left", which is what the instructions I gave tell you how to do.

22. richmaster
    Posted 5 years ago #

Otto, I changed the stylesheet like you said (step 9) but it didn't change anything. Previously when I clicked the left align button it would add style="float: left;" to the image code. Ever since upgrading to 2.6 it stopped doing that. If I add style="float: left;" it works properly.

It does add alignleft to the image class but that doesn't make the image float left except in the WYSIWYG editor.

BTW Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

23. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

It does add alignleft to the image class but that doesn't make the image float left except in the WYSIWYG editor.

Exactly. Which is why you need to make the alignleft class float:left on your actual page. Adding an explicit style is not the correct answer here.

I'm failing to understand your objections here. Everything you're telling me suggests that you just need to edit your theme properly. If you already did that, then you did it wrong.

What's the URL of your page?

24. richmaster
    Posted 5 years ago #

Otto
    Thanks for your help. After going over everything again I finally realized what the problem was. I was editing the stylesheet (style.css) but my theme was using another file as the stylesheet. (style.php) After including the code suggested in step 9 everything seems to work.

Thanks again

25. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 5 years ago #

My image looks fine in the WYSIWYG editor, aligned left or right with text wrapped around it. But when I publish, the text doesn't wrap, so there is a gap across the whole page. This problem began two days ago when I upgraded to 2.6.

From reading this thread I conclude I have to add or alter code in the style sheet, but I know nothing about it and I'm afraid to tinker with the code. I copied the code from support topic 164999, step 9 and pasted into the bottom of the style sheet box but nothing changed so I erased it.

Can you kindly give step by step instructions to a groveling moron?

26. IslandGirl
    Posted 5 years ago #

This is a major problem as far as I'm concerned. I've created the style for alignleft and alignnone, and added the additional !important and the text will still not wrap correctly around the image in IE7. Works great in FF.

The css for the theme is very minimal so there isn't an issue for something in the stylesheet to be overriding the image alignment.

I've gone through the theme, and nothing pops out. This is a major problem and huge annoyance with 2.6.1.

27. mukaumedia
    Posted 5 years ago #

The CSS code that OTto gave worked for me.

I'm NO php or CSS expert (bare beginner) but I can see that the additional code will modify how the browser displays the text / image.

Unless I'm mistaken, we're ending up with themes whose basic CSS can't deal with the alignment codes that 2.6 is generating?

In which case we all need to get friendly with these kinds of CSS 'upgrades' in order to fix.

Thanks for this thread.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic