WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.5 Visual Editor/TinyMCE problems (97 posts)

1. longjorn
    Posted 5 years ago #

I had the same problem, visual editor not working anymore.

I found out that after transfering files to the host some important sub-folders did not ftp there using FileZilla client 3.1.5.1.

By manually comparing folders I did find any sub-folder under wp-includes/js, there should be crop, jquery, scriptaculous, swfupload and thickbox subfolders!

Using a nightly built of Filezilla solved the ftp transfer problem and visual editor works again.

I wrote a post about this in my blog here:

http://www.go41.de/2008/11/30/wordpress-update-with-filezilla-3151-sub-folders-missing/

Hope it helps

2. romerican
    Posted 5 years ago #

In step 4, checking http://DOMAIN.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/tiny_mce_config.php results in a 404. Same for any other php file in that directory.

* I looked via FTP and saw the files exist
    * Other files show up fine, only php files show 404
    * I did check for correct permissions
    * All the clearing cache tricks (although that should not affect a 404)
    * I deleted all contents and re-uploaded

http://DOMAIN.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/tiny_mce_config.php still results in 404. What is my next step in debugging? Thank you in advance.

3. mccomf
    Posted 5 years ago #

I replaced wp-admin and wp-includes using FTPeditor(total commander) and it helped.

4. Altstatten
    Posted 5 years ago #

Well this is embarassing but given the high degree of pisstration running through this thread it's obvious that a lot of folks either need a) a beer, or b) a good laugh. Since "passing a cold-one" is a tough proposition in the virtual world, it looks like a good laugh is our only option and it might as well be at my expense.

I just spent another 2 hours reading every post I could find looking for the solution to this problem. I had run the same rabbit trail a couple months ago and just couldn't remember the outcome of that pursuit although it's obvious to me that the Visual functionality isn't working at the moment. Then it hit me.

After spending a couple hours solution-searching during my first go-round, I hopped on over to my browser's forum to see if just by chance someone had tried to discover the truth via that route. That, indeed, is where I found my answer, the first time! It was only after a word or two read in some WP forum post rang some distant bell in my poor head did I recall what I had found.

Can I have my two hours back? I've begun a new habit today. Once I solve a problem I'll be posting it to this forum so when I forget the fix I can look myself up. <sigh> (Don't tell me you haven't done it before!!)

If you are using the Opera Browser, the FCKEditor (which IS the toolbar panel full of icons which make up the toolbar that won't appear for everybody in the Visual mode) is NOT COMPATIBLE with any version of Opera. In the Opera forum I found a single thread informing me of this and this link to the FCKEditor site where work is in progress to close the gap in this incompatibility. I hope.

So in the meantime, if I have to have have the Visual mode, I use FireFox. For everything else, Opera is simply the best browser on the planet. Period.

Amen and Hallelujah!

5. Altstatten
    Posted 5 years ago #

Well this is embarassing but given the high degree of pisstration running through this thread it's obvious that a lot of folks either need a) a beer, or b) a good laugh. Since "passing a cold-one" is a tough proposition in the virtual world, it looks like a good laugh is our only option and it might as well be at my expense.

I just spent another 2 hours reading every post I could find looking for the solution to this problem. I had run the same rabbit trail a couple months ago and just couldn't remember the outcome of that pursuit although it's obvious to me that the Visual functionality isn't working at the moment. Then it hit me.

After spending a couple hours solution-searching during my first go-round, I hopped on over to my browser's forum to see if just by chance someone had tried to discover the truth via that route. That, indeed, is where I found my answer, the first time! It was only after a word or two read in some WP forum post rang some distant bell in my poor head did I recall what I had found.

Can I have my two hours back? I've begun a new habit today. Once I solve a problem I'll be posting it to this forum so when I forget the fix I can look myself up. <sigh> (Don't tell me you haven't done it before!!)

If you are using the Opera Browser, the FCKEditor (which IS the toolbar panel full of icons which make up the toolbar that won't appear for everybody in the Visual mode) is NOT COMPATIBLE with any version of Opera. In the Opera forum I found a single thread informing me of this and this link to the FCKEditor site where work is in progress to close the gap in this incompatibility. I hope.

So in the meantime, if I have to have have the Visual mode, I use FireFox. For everything else, Opera is simply the best browser on the planet. Period.

Amen and Hallelujah!

6. JackScene
    Posted 5 years ago #

Webbiton stated

"I use WordPress 2.6.1 and also had problems with the editor. But then I looked in tiny_mce_config.php and scrolled down and found that on rows 243,244,245 there was some header information beeing written. I commented those lines and, voila! The visual editor worked!!
    Tell me, does this solve your problem?"

Yes. This worked for me. Just updated tiny_mce_config.php.
    I'm using wordpress 2.61
    Even the TinyMCE Excerpt Plugin is working now.

7. hamilton33
    Posted 5 years ago #

Had the same problem as everyone else. Disabled all my plugins, cleared cache, and the Visual mode worked.

Figured I'd reactivate them one at a time, and find which one was jamming me up.

Got them all activated, and now it works.

Nothing like fixing a problem and having no idea what you did....

:)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic