Support » Themes and Templates » 2.5 Sidebar displays widgets – admin says 0 widgets

• Resolved jcimb

(@jcimb)

New to WordPress. Installed 2.5. Modified Kubrick theme.
    Made front/home page a static page, but still have (and want to have) sidebar there.
    Sidebar displays widgets but when I go into Admin ->Design ->Widgets it says Sidebar 1 (the only sidebar) has zero widgets. If I add a Text Widget, then View Site, the sidebar now has only the text widget and all the others are gone.
    Have tried de-activating plug-ins (Akismet, Admin-menus, Database Backup) but does not help. Changed themes and does not help either.
    I was able to add Calendar widget by editing Sidebar.php.
    How do I get Admin panel to recognize that the sidebar already has widgets?
    site: test.sunnydaysites.com
    Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Moderator Samuel Wood (Otto)

(@otto42)

WordPress.org Admin

How do I get Admin panel to recognize that the sidebar already has widgets?

You don’t, because it doesn’t have any widgets.

When you have no widgets, most themes display a “default” sidebar instead. This is hardcoded into the theme. When you add widgets to the sidebar, then you’re replacing that hardcoded sidebar with the widgets. So if you want to keep the default sidebar that you see, you need to recreate it using widgets.

Fortunately, some newer themes have started leaving out the hardcoded sidebars, making this less confusing all around, in my opinion, and forcing people to use widgets instead of manually editing themes.

Thread Starter jcimb

(@jcimb)

Thanks so much! What a relief – I thought I had messed up the template files somehow. Thank you!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘2.5 Sidebar displays widgets – admin says 0 widgets’ is closed to new replies.