WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.5 No longer sending comment email notification (114 posts)

1. timayres
    Posted 6 years ago #

All I had to do to fix this little hiccup was to deactivate (but not remove) the WP-DBManager ver 2.31, which seems to be conflicting with WP 2.6.2. Perhaps this is something that will be worked out in a future plugin update.

2. Dgold
    Posted 6 years ago #

I didn't read all 91 posts of this thread.

But if anyone is still having problems getting Email each time someone comments, try this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/comments-notifier/

Comments Notifier lets you send an email to any address (not just the email addy of the Admin). Just put in another one of your email addresses.

3. rogersmj
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm on the latest 2.6.2 and I do not get comment notifications.

I have read every single post in this thread.

I have read every other thread I can find.

Emails from my WordPress contact form AND every email from all the other apps I have on this server work fine. Just not WordPress comment notification.

I have tried every fix I've found:
    - I created a valid wordpress@ email on my domain -- nothing changed
    - I have tried the no_sender plugin that was posted -- does nothing
    - The Comments Notifier plugin did send me emails, but I had to abandon it because it also sent me spam comments caught by Akismet, which means I would be getting 400+ emails a day, which is worse than no notifications at all.
    - The WP Mail SMTP plugin does not work for me because it doesn't offer an SSL option.
    - I found another SMTP plugin that DOES offer SSL (Swift SMTP), and it successfully sent me a test email from the admin, but completely broke the site whenever anyone submitted a comment.

I'm so frustrated by this I could scream. Why the hell can't the WordPress devs put it back the way it was before 2.3 or whenever it was this started? People shouldn't have to be server admins or sendmail wizards in order to get this to work.

Does anyone have *any* other suggestions?

4. Dgold
    Posted 5 years ago #

That's interesting, rogersmj. For me, I have Akismet and Comments Notifier plugins, and the Notifier does NOT send spams. Akismet or SK2 catches them first I guess.

5. angliss
    Posted 5 years ago #

Just had an idea based on this same problem, but I lack enough PHP experience to know if this could be a cause.

Can someone check to see if the problem is that WP expects not only a "wordpress@mydomain" email address, but also expects that the username to log into that email address is of the "wordpress@mydomain" structure instead of the "wordpress+mydomain" structure.

I'm asking this because a move from one server to another caused my emails to stop working, but one of the differences was the above-mentioned "@" vs. "+" username change.

Thanks.

6. teknics
    Posted 5 years ago #

I am also on 2.6.2 and I am just noticing the same problem with the lack of comment notifications.

At first I thought it was because I changed servers, then I got a bunch of emails (10 hours late) and now nothing at all. I tried a bunch of smtp mail plugins to no avail and I am at a stand still.

From what I can gather, this problem has been intermittent since WP 2.5.

For what it's worth, my host is Mosso and I think I remember reading something about this - but cannot remember.

7. teknics
    Posted 5 years ago #

Well mark this one as solved for me.

As you can see above I thought I remembered reading something about a particular problem on Mosso. I found it:

http://wiki.stabletransit.com/article.php?id=295

However, their .htaccess syntax is wrong and should read:

php_value mail.force_extra_parameters '-f webmaster@example.com'

From everything I can gather, when WordPress sends out the php mail call, it's a generic email address (owner@example.com), in my case - it was www-data@example.com and being blacklisted as SPAM.

I did not try the above script alone, I also created a WordPress email alias on my domain that forwards to my regular email just to be on the safe side.

Maybe whoever is having issues, this can somehow help them in the interim.

8. mnogueir
    Posted 5 years ago #

Same problem here; curiously, it's kind of intermittent. I do receive email notifications for spam detected by Akismet, and it seems to work every time. However, i only get email for *SOME* of the "normal" comments...

This is a very annoying problem, and i've been getting it at least since 2.5...

9. rogersmj
    Posted 5 years ago #

As I said in my message above, I've tried all the suggestions I've found and I'm still having this problem. I'm running my WordPress install on Ubuntu Server on a VPS. I haven't done anything to the mail part of the server other than install sendmail. I handle my actual domain email through Google Apps.

Does anyone have any other ideas? The plugin isn't usable for me because it sends me spam, and having wordpress@mydomain.com doesn't do anything either. Does anyone run this on their own Linux installation and have mail working? Where the heck are the WordPress devs on this?? I see so many people reporting this problem, and they don't seem to care!

10. typo180
    Posted 5 years ago #

@teknics

How did you figure out what address you needed to use in the script?

11. homebillsave
    Posted 5 years ago #

I've posted one solution on a thread on the same matter at:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/156124

As for the fact that it won't of itself filter out automated spam, I use Peter's Custom Anti-Spam plug-in which seems to stop blank comments being notified or uploaded and requires a commenter manually to complete an an anti-spam code entry (if not completed, no email and no upload).

12. teknics
    Posted 5 years ago #

@typo180,

In previos versions of WP my comment email would come from wordpress@yourdomain.com so I created a wordpress alias that forwards all the comment mail to my regular account on that domain.

@homebillsave,

My solution keeps all spam control intact and only requires an edit of your .htaccess file.

Just to be clear I am using no plugins that handle mail and have been trouble free since this fix. I require all of my comments be moderated, use Akismet and Bad Behavior so nothing slips through.

13. ericbodden
    Posted 5 years ago #

Installing the "Mail From" plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mail-from/) and then using it to set the from-address to an existing account on my web space solved the problem for me. This should really be an option in WordPress by default, not a plugin! Plus there should be a warning that this option may need to be set to a sensible value on many hosts. I would appreciate if newer versions of WordPress could incorporate this. Thanks!

14. jmarx75
    Posted 5 years ago #

I know most people are talking about comment notification .. but has anyone been able to solve .. the lost password email notification issue yet? I the activation link sent to me with a key. When i click on it .. it says check your email for the new password.. but it never comes .. and yes .. i have checked all my junk folders.

I'm currently running MU 2.63 and hosting on media temple.

I upgraded from a pre-1.5 version amd seemed to break when i upgraded to the latest version.

15. Nommo
    Posted 5 years ago #

FWIW - turning on Bad Behavior on my 2.6.5 blog means that comment notification emails don't get sent. Turning it off means emails do get sent. That's pretty conclusive in my case!

16. tHaDuDe
    Posted 5 years ago #

Hi, i moved my blog with WordPress 2.7 from one host to another! Now i wont get any email confirmation from my website! I think i had MySQL Version 4.1 or something on the old host and now i have MySQL Version 5.1! I dont know if thats important!

@teknics, where is this .htaccess file?

This problem is freaking me out! I hope somebody could help!

17. tHaDuDe
    Posted 5 years ago #

Found the solution! Just create a new email: wordpress@yourdomain.com !

Now all emails should go directly to that email address.. weird problem!

18. kennethwatt
    Posted 5 years ago #

@thatdude
    Don't understand - it's not working at all for me, even with MailFrom plugin.

19. testando
    Posted 5 years ago #

This same problem happened to me after changing server. And the use CPanel to create the email but wordpress@yourdomain.com you must provide the password, use the password you use to access the control panel of WordPress but it did not work. Because you created this email?

20. superjux
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm having the same problem after changing hosting companies too! I have the wordpress@mydomain.com set up, and it's still not working. Any ideas? I tried the MailFrom plugin, but that didn't work.

21. A2daK
    Posted 5 years ago #

THIS IS A WORKING FIX

I am not the author of this fix either. I just found it after trawling through loads of supposed solutions but this is the only one that worked for me.

Cheers

Adam

22. lassegul
    Posted 5 years ago #

Solved to me. I just installed "Comment Notifier" and now it all works well.

23. zombix
    Posted 5 years ago #

Same thing happen for my blog and the problem was in fact that WP is no longer take mail address from "Settings > General" but address that is in "Users > admin_username" so only thing that I do was to change wrong address under admin user and notifications where back on. I also installed "Notifier" plugin untill I figured out where was the problem.

Hope this will help.

24. heylady
    Posted 5 years ago #

I had a similar problem after I moved my blog from one server to another. I used WordPress' import feature to grab all my old posts. My new blog was set up using a new admin name, and the imported posts were published under the old admin name.

I discovered that comments will only be emailed to the author of the post. All my posts were published by my old user name and didn't have an email address associated with it. Once I added an email address for that user, I received comments via email again!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic