WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.5 No longer sending comment email notification (114 posts)

1. Dalton
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm having the same problem. WP 2.5.1.

2. jayroh
    Posted 5 years ago #

How is it that noone's come up with a viable solution or even a way to help debug this?

We have a fresh install of 2.5 (recently upgraded to 2.5.1) and since launch have yet to get email notifications when comments are posted.

ANYONE have any idea what's going on?

3. ohmyseven
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm having a similar problem. I get email notification about comments from authors who have been approved prior to my update, and I get notifications that comments are waiting to be approved, but I don't get a "New Comment" email after I approve them. It's beginning to make me wish that I hadn't upgraded, because the way I respond to comments is by email, and it's obnoxious to have to copy the email address from my comments list and then compose a new message, instead of just replying to the comment. Help!

4. Benoit Catherineau
    Posted 5 years ago #

5. pmars
    Posted 5 years ago #

Holy Crap! This is where I don't understand people... I swear if I knew who to kick the schit out of, I'd do it right now!!! I swear I would!!! Is there anyone who can answer for this problem? Failure is not an option and why you all are not screaming louder is amazing to me!!!

Is this hobby software or what... I guess all the hack and security problems I read about are true, WP does suck!

Remember this...
    "Code is Poetry" to a freak!

6. pmars
    Posted 5 years ago #

- removed "228 $phpmailer->Sender = apply_filters( 'wp_mail_from', $from_email );" from pluggable.php

I just spotted this on an earlier post.... will somebody just shoot me?!
    Everyone should be fired!!!!!

7. Benoit Catherineau
    Posted 5 years ago #

pmars > i have no line like this in my pulggable.php !

8. Dalton
    Posted 5 years ago #

This is totally random, they just started coming through again. For no reason.

I have been getting emails from Cforms all along, I have no idea what this is all about.

9. bebeox
    Posted 5 years ago #

10. bebeox
    Posted 5 years ago #

My message above is wrong, there is no help on this page, sorry.

On my system (wordpress 2.5) I have got no notifications when someone wrote a new comment. The function wp_notify_moderator() seems not to work properly and does NOT notify the administrator about the new comment.

If you want to get the notifications you can try this. The solution is not beautiful but it works on my blog:

1. Find in the wp-inludes/comment.php this (about line 690):
    wp_notify_moderator($comment_ID);

2. replace the statement you've just found:

wp_notify_moderator($comment_ID);

with these lines:

{ wp_notify_moderator($comment_ID);
    if (get_option('comments_notify'))
    @mail(get_option('admin_email'),'New comment!', 'There is a new comment to check on your blog!','From: MyBlogName <my_address@my-site-name.com>'); }

The brackets { and } in the above lines are very important.

Now you should get the notification. This short message is hard coded in the line starting with @mail.

good luck
    G.

--
    tutoria.pl

11. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

Bebebox, I've tried your suggestion (modified the comment.php code and of course changed my_address@my_site to my information) and unfortunately it did not work for me.

I am still not getting comment notifications when anyone posts on my blog. v2.5.1

12. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

This is obviously a massive issue amongst several wordpress users - why has there been no official comment on it from WordPress? Why are they ignoring this issue? It is incredibly frustrating.

Again, please keep the thoughts coming guys.

13. techiezone123
    Posted 5 years ago #

This is a bloody freaking issue and it has wasted 2 days for me.

14. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

It's wasted 2 weeks for me. Still unresolved.

15. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

Why are they ignoring this issue? It is incredibly frustrating.

Because most people do not have this issue. I get emails from WordPress 2.5.1 just fine. All of them come right through with no issues. This is the case for most people, it's something specific about you or your setup or your email server or your hosting company or something like that.

We can't solve an issue that we don't have.

16. MrSwitch
    Posted 5 years ago #

You'd think you'd recognise it as a problem if so many people are complaining about it.

After a fresh install I recieve moderation emails but not new comment details. How could that POSSIBLY be a email server problem. If no emails at all were getting through, maybe, but my email server is specifically choosing which emails?

And on one site? Becuase I'm still receiving new comment emails from another wordpress blog...

How you can deny that this could possibily be an issue due to specific user set ups after so many people complain of the same bug, after a fresh install, well, it's beyond belief really.

17. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

You'd think you'd recognise it as a problem if so many people are complaining about it.

These are support forums. By definition, people only tend to come here when they have issues.

Also, this thread is maybe 40 posts long with 30 or so people commenting. Thousands of people use WordPress. So, a bit of perspective is in order.

If no emails at all were getting through, maybe, but my email server is specifically choosing which emails?

Yes, absolutely. Email is more complex than you seem to understand, and modern email systems have hellishly complex rulesets.

The most common email issue with WordPress involves the use of the "From:" header. Some servers don't like it, some do. In particular, comments get a "From:" of the commenter name and wordpress @ yoursite.com as an email, with a reply-to of the commenter's email, so that you can reply to them. Some email servers reject this, they don't like the "wordpress@" address. Moderation emails don't have that same header setup.

One of the most common fixes for this on some systems is to create a "wordpress" email address on your host. Another is to blank out the Sender address using code like this in a plugin:

add_action('phpmailer_init','my_phpmailer_init');
    function my_phpmailer_init($php_mailer)
    {
        $php_mailer->Sender = '';
    }

But both of these fixes are just workarounds for problems with your email server's overly strict rules.

18. Benoit Catherineau
    Posted 5 years ago #

In your opinion, what is the parameter which is responsible of this send mail problem on a host ?

19. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm not buying that this is a SERVER PROBLEM. I've spent hours on the phone with my host --- YAHOO --- and they are assuring me it is nothing on their end after checking and re-checking.

Furthermore, wordpress is PARTNERED with yahoo now with the "one step easy install" garbage.

Moderator, your attitude is really disheartening to me, and to the thousands of other people having this problem. Sure, perspective is order, but I don't really believe there's nothing WordPress can do on their end to help figure this mess out. They just can't be bothered. Maybe there are only 40 people in this thread, but I've found MANY threads on this website, along with many blogs, all over the internet with people having this same issue. It spans far beyond 40 people.

20. kylelambelet
    Posted 5 years ago #

Having similar problems, though undoubtedly unique. I've followed the work around suggestions by Otto and I'm able to receive email notifications at my gmail account, but not at my domain's info@mydomain.com.

It sounds like support isn't real interested in offering some helpful solutions on this, but wanted to register the issue.

21. ClaytonJames
    Posted 5 years ago #

Please forgive me if I missed some critical information. I'm pretty new to this, and I read the thread, but I don't recall seeing any information from httpd logs anywhere. Has anyone any detailed mail-log or httpd log error information?

If this is a php (ergo a possible WordPress) error, and you have php error logging turned on for httpd, wouldn't your apache log show a PHP Parse error, or PHP Warning?

I also saw g-mail mentioned. Assuming that you are using a plugin to access your g-mail account, (which I think you might have to), and I think that httpd has to connect to the network using a script in that case. If it encountered an error, would it not leave an error message in your log? There seems to be so many variables from user to user... what plugins you use, what server OS you use, what restrictions your ISP has in regard to port 25. None of that information is available to anyone else.

Anyone have any logged error? Like I say, I'm pretty new to this, so I could be talking out my arse... maybe nothing I am thinking is relevant to the issue. I'm not sure.

22. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have made a wordpress email on my host, did nothing. I've also tried switching my email address to ones hosted on different servers... and also to a yahoo email account... still no emails.

I have changed nothing else. This problem started with my upgrade to 2.5.1.

Moderator, as you've so eloquently pointed out, I'm clearly not as schooled as you are at all of this. I don't understand your suggestion to blank out the Sender address using code in a plugin. I have no clue how to make my own plugin. Any more advice on that suggestion?

23. ClaytonJames
    Posted 5 years ago #

I don't understand your suggestion to blank out the Sender address using code in a plugin

Could this be of any help in attempting to change the "from" field via a plugin method? I have not tried it myself, but it appears to be relevant.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mail-from/

..or perhaps something similar from a more thorough search would prove more on point.

24. ClaytonJames
    Posted 5 years ago #

Yet another that appears very promising as a possible solution.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

If anyone tries this one, I would be very interested to know the results.

25. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

I tried the WP-Mail-Smtp. It sent me a TEST EMAIL when configured to use SMTP... but again, no email when a comment is left (yes, the notification boxes are all checked). When I configured it to send PHP, it gave me this error message..... does anyone know what this means?

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: No route to host (65)

bool(false)

The full debugging output is shown below:

object(phpmailer)(39) {
    ["Priority"]=>
    int(3)
    ["CharSet"]=>
    string(5) "UTF-8"
    ["ContentType"]=>
    string(10) "text/plain"
    ["Encoding"]=>
    string(4) "8bit"
    ["ErrorInfo"]=>
    string(44) "Language string failed to load: connect_host"
    ["From"]=>
    string(25) "myemail@myhost.com"
    ["FromName"]=>
    string(8) "COMMENTS"
    ["Sender"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["Subject"]=>
    string(52) "WP Mail SMTP: Test mail to myemail@myhost.com"
    ["Body"]=>
    string(68) "This is a test email generated by the WP Mail SMTP WordPress plugin."
    ["AltBody"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["WordWrap"]=>
    int(0)
    ["Mailer"]=>
    string(4) "smtp"
    ["Sendmail"]=>
    string(18) "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
    ["PluginDir"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["Version"]=>
    string(4) "1.73"
    ["ConfirmReadingTo"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["Hostname"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["Host"]=>
    string(18) "mysmtp.net"
    ["Port"]=>
    int(25)
    ["Helo"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["SMTPAuth"]=>
    bool(false)
    ["Username"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["Password"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["Timeout"]=>
    int(10)
    ["SMTPDebug"]=>
    int(2)
    ["SMTPKeepAlive"]=>
    bool(false)
    ["smtp"]=>
    &object(smtp)(6) {
    ["SMTP_PORT"]=>
    int(25)
    ["CRLF"]=>
    string(2) "
    "
    ["do_debug"]=>
    int(2)
    ["smtp_conn"]=>
    bool(false)
    ["error"]=>
    array(3) {
    ["error"]=>
    string(27) "Failed to connect to server"
    ["errno"]=>
    int(65)
    ["errstr"]=>
    string(16) "No route to host"
    }
    ["helo_rply"]=>
    NULL
    }
    ["to"]=>
    array(1) {
    [0]=>
    array(2) {
    [0]=>
    string(25) "myemail@myhost.com"
    [1]=>
    string(0) ""
    }
    }
    ["cc"]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    ["bcc"]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    ["ReplyTo"]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    ["attachment"]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    ["CustomHeader"]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    ["message_type"]=>
    string(5) "plain"
    ["boundary"]=>
    array(2) {
    [1]=>
    string(35) "b1_7622bca7b4c9caf8b9185b7e6e7924dd"
    [2]=>
    string(35) "b2_7622bca7b4c9caf8b9185b7e6e7924dd"
    }
    ["language"]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    ["error_count"]=>
    int(2)
    ["LE"]=>
    string(1) "
    "
    }

26. ClaytonJames
    Posted 5 years ago #

I think this may be the same as smtp error 10065, or EHOSTUNREACH which as indicated, is saying that the host is not reachable."No route to host, or a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host". Do you get a response from the server/host if you ping it, and are there any ISP port 25 retrictions or router/network issues that could be interfering? I'm really hoping someone with a more critical eye will spot something and jump in. I'm getting out of my depth on this one.

27. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm not buying that this is a SERVER PROBLEM. I've spent hours on the phone with my host --- YAHOO --- and they are assuring me it is nothing on their end after checking and re-checking.

Yahoo is, by far, the worst web host I know of. They're worse than GoDaddy (which is saying a lot, believe me). Their systems are strange, their PHP is broken most of the time due to the overly restrictive security, and their prices are high to boot.

My advice would be to switch hosts. I use GoDaddy hosting because it's cheap, but I can't recommend them either, really. I've heard good things about A Small Orange, and some people like DreamHost.

Furthermore, wordpress is PARTNERED with yahoo now with the "one step easy install" garbage.

I have no idea what the "one step easy install" is, but I'm fairly certain that nobody from WordPress is involved with it. WordPress has been adapted to many "simple" install programs on several different hosts. WordPress didn't make any of those. WordPress is free software, anybody can adapt it for anything they like.

Here on these forums, we generally recommend not using those installer systems and doing a manual installation yourself.

I don't understand your suggestion to blank out the Sender address using code in a plugin. I have no clue how to make my own plugin. Any more advice on that suggestion?

Here's a plugin for just that: No-Sender Plugin

28. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

Possible alternate fix, add this line to your wp-config.php file, right after all the define lines:
    ini_set("sendmail_from", 'your.email@example.com');
    Substitute your real working email address there, obviously.

29. jillsays
    Posted 5 years ago #

1. I did do a manual install. I have 10 different wordpress blogs set up and running off of my main domain. Again, everything worked fine with comment notification until my upgrade to 2.5.1

2. Otto, tried your no-sender plugin. It did not work. I also tried adding the lines to my wp-config.php file -- again, with no success.

3. I do not receive emails when comments are held for moderation, either. I do however, get a notification when a suspicious comment is held in the "moderation queue." How that makes sense, I do not understand.

30. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

Again, everything worked fine with comment notification until my upgrade to 2.5.1

What version did you have before you upgraded? Telling me what doesn't work is useless unless I know what did work too.

2. Otto, tried your no-sender plugin. It did not work. I also tried adding the lines to my wp-config.php file -- again, with no success.

Make sure you try both of those things separately. One or the other. If you do both at the same time, it will not work.

3. I do not receive emails when comments are held for moderation, either. I do however, get a notification when a suspicious comment is held in the "moderation queue." How that makes sense, I do not understand.

... I don't understand the difference. What's the difference between those two emails that you're talking about?

WordPress can send email with these subjects:
    Password Reset
    Your new password
    Password Lost/Changed
    New WordPress Blog
    Comment/Trackback/Pingback
    Please moderate:
    New User Registration
    Your username and password

Only two of those deal with comments. The notification and the "Please Moderate" one.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic