WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.5 HTTP error when uploading Images from my computer (31 posts)

1. kippm99
    Posted 6 years ago #

I have not been able to upload any images since installing 2.5. I get an HTTP ERROR and the the message 'To try again later' in the 'crunching section of the upload window.

What have I done wrong or need to do? I had NO problems uploading with any of the earlier versions of WP.

2. kscott65
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm having the exact same problem!! Have you figured it out yet? Anyone know how to fix? My blog is attached to my domain.

3. tronicscribe
    Posted 5 years ago #

I had this problem a while back, and the only way I got it resolved was to install the no-flash-uploader plugin, which works like a charm, but removes some of the nice flash interfaces in the admin area. however I found it not to be a big deal at all. it still allows you to publish just the same as before. it is the perfect solution.

4. Okoth1
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks mate, it works. Not ideal but good for now.

5. gspx
    Posted 5 years ago #

I found that this works, but it's definitely not ideal, it doesn't allow for multi-uploading as the other one did.
    The funny thing is, it worked perfectly for me up until I moved to hostgator, suggesting that it could be a host problem, but with the no-flash uploader, it works seamlessly. Strange, eh?

6. gspx
    Posted 5 years ago #

I submitted a ticket to my host about it, they gave me the following :
    The security department will need to update the security filter for this to work. The user agent supplied by this plugin was left as the default user agent, and this will cause issues.

If that's any help :)

7. neilfinlay
    Posted 5 years ago #

just to add to the mystery...I have 3 WordPress sites running from the same web server and only one of them has the above problem.

I've deactivated all my plugins in turn with no joy.

Maybe it is permissions related - specific to the site? htaccess?

8. mikeyc1
    Posted 5 years ago #

Anyone figure this out yet? I use hostgator and get the same error.

9. jafzali
    Posted 5 years ago #

Weird, im also on hostgator and having same problems,, i installed no flsh plugin and it works now. but when i click on write post or loginto my dash board my computer goes

10. joaopott
    Posted 5 years ago #

The no-flash-uploader solved the problem! Dont loose time , just use it!

I was pissed off... already using the next-gen gallery to upload pictures b4 writting posts (not bad at all, but...)...

Thank you very much tronicscribe,

Best regards, Joao, from Brazil

11. neilfinlay
    Posted 5 years ago #

I am also on Hostgator so I tried their support to get the problem fixed. They disabled mod security rules thinking that was the issue but the HTTP Error persists.

At the end they said the problem is with the uploader and I should go back to the WordPress community. So it looks like we're back to square 1.

I'd still prefer to get that thing working than revert to the no-flash plugin......waiting and hoping.....

12. e-bony
    Posted 5 years ago #

"The solution for me was to edit the .htaccess file in the root directory of my webserver (the directory where WordPress is installed). Add the following to the the .htaccess file after the “END WordPress”:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

If you are having the problem of your .htaccess file losing its changes, you have most likely put something inside the WordPress block of the .htaccess file. Keep any custom changes outside of that block or they will be overwritten."

Compliments of:
    http://geek.thinkunique.org/2008/03/30/fix-wordpress-25-upload-error-http-error/

If there isn't a .htaccess file in there just create one

13. malexander007
    Posted 5 years ago #

I am also on Hostgator and was having the same HTTP problem trying to upload a single JPEG on a post. I did step 6 from http://wordpress.org/support/topic/164999?replies=1 which is as e-bony describes above, but in a separate .htaccess file in the wp-admin directory. It solved the problem.

My question is though, does disabling mod_security like this leave your site open to hacking etc?

14. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 5 years ago #

My question is though, does disabling mod_security like this leave your site open to hacking etc?

No, and if you did as described in that post, mod_security is only disabled for that one async-upload.php file, not for all the other files.

15. malexander007
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks Otto42. Yes, I did as described in the post and copy/pasted the code as given into a new .htaccess file. I'm a WordPress newbie, and am probably stating the obvious, but when I first created the file in notepad it didn't work until I renamed it without the ".txt" extension - just in case anyone else hasn't yet done that.

16. iamthechosenone
    Posted 5 years ago #

I had a similar problem with my blog. Was fine until I upgraded to 2.5.
    If you have exhausted all other avenues, I would contact your host. My host (Hostgator) was blocking the upload of images for security. I had to tell them the location of all of my blogs so that they could remove the security feature. This worked perfectly.

When I was getting the problem I was just getting "http error", but I know some people got "crunching" instead.

It seems that the server was logging this message: mod_security: Access denied with code 403. Pattern match "^Shockwave Flash" at HEADER("USER-AGENT") [id "***MY ID"][rev "1"] [msg "SpamBot UA"] [severity "CRITICAL"] [hostname "***MY-DOMAIN***"] [uri "/testing/blog/wp-admin/async-upload.php"]

Hope this helps you guys. I spent hours trying sugegsted fixes. I never would have guessed that it was a security issue with my host. After contacting them it was fixed within the hour.
    At first they argued that it was 3rd party software, but I told them that I had a test blog and I also had blogs on 2 servers and it was the same on all of them. They referred me to their higher level support and they fixed it within an hour.

Let me know the outcome. dave@isnigh.com

17. maxsatt
    Posted 5 years ago #

I saw a suggestion somewhere to upgrade Bad Behavior, I did this and it worked! Images uploading with no problem and didn't have to install the no-flash plugin!

Cheers! :)

18. thommeredith
    Posted 5 years ago #

I know this sounds obvious, but make sure that the file you are uploading does not exceed your upload size, I had a limit of 300KB and it just threw an HTTP Error without any verbiage about file size.

I changed it and it works great now

19. jayneeR
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thank you so much tronicscribe. I have tried every fix I could find over the last 3 days and none would work. I was having to use Flikr to host my pics and link to them in my blog which was a right pain.
    I just tried the no flash uploader and it worked!!!
    I am so relieved as I thought I was going to have to reinstall the old version of wordpress.

Thanks a lot.

20. ThorHammer
    Posted 5 years ago #

The flash uploader is really nice. Here is the solution I tried, and which solved all my problems:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/183297

21. robsaxe
    Posted 5 years ago #

Bad behavior didn't work but no uploader did. It's seamless on my sites; they both work. Server is midphase.
    Boy what a frustrating ride. I'll think twice before upgrading again.

22. rivermaya
    Posted 5 years ago #

e-bony is right,
    I just add
    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

on .htaccess after #END WordPress code, and It solved the upload problems.. my server at Hostgator too

23. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have a crazy making problem - I am getting an http error message when I try to upload an image...and here is the rub, of the three people who have access to the dashboard of my self hosted wordpress.org site, I am the only one who cannot successfully upload an image...by the way, I can upload images on my wordpress.com site...any one know what to do?

24. bradleyg
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have this problem with IE7 but Firefox is fine?

25. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks, It doesn't work with either browser for me...

How is it that other users, working on the same dashboard of my http://losangelesestateliquidation.com/ site can use the image uploader and I can't?

It seem like a computer setting problem or a browser problem and not a wp code problem...

Anyone out there no what to do about this.

I have cleared my cache several times...and reinstalled flash...nothing seems to work.

Thanks

26. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 5 years ago #

I've tried everything listed on this page. I've altered the .htaccess file and I've tried installing the no-flash-uploader, without success (for some reason it's not appearing in the plugins editor in the admin panel and I can't work out why). I haven't installed Bad Behaviour - I read somewhere else this might cause more problems. I've also tried this, but it didn't work.

I'm now out of my depth and really stumped. Please help - I can't upload any images to my site.

27. grostoryeu
    Posted 5 years ago #

I had two errors :
    1. Error #2044: Unhandled IOErrorEvent:. text=Error #2038: File I/O Error.
    2. http error

Tried everything up there, but only this worked for me.
    I added those lines to the main .htaccess file (in the root folder of the wp installation), after the # END WordPress line :

SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off

Hope this will work for you.

28. Jicker
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks grostoryeu, this works great for me!

29. gordo019
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have the Error 2044 error when uploading with nextGen. I am also using Hostgator. Did anyone using Hostgator get a solution to this problem? I have tried the mod_security code in the .htaccess file, but that did not work.

30. gordo019
    Posted 5 years ago #

I got my Error 2044 solved with Gatorhost.....

My SyAdm said, "It is not Flash related, it is a common problem for this wp image upload gallery script on servers running mod_security version 1."

He had to reconfigure mod_security is some way. The second thing I had to do was to have this in my .htaccess file:

SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off

It would be good if the nextGen folks could sort this out while the plugin is attempting to be installed. I wasted alot of time troubleshooting the problem.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic