• Resolved whistlerdan

(@whistlerdan)

Took me a while to figure this out so I’m posting this in case anyone else has issues and also so that maybe we can get it so future updates don’t do this.

When I updated to 2.4.8 , all my WooCommerce end points started to 404. So nobody would get a receipt and things like that.

I narrowed the problem down to ThirstyAffiliates and eventually figured out that after activating the plugin, the issue can be solved by going to the permalinks settings page in the WP dashboard and hitting the “Save settings” button.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/thirstyaffiliates/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hey whistlerdan,

Did you update any other plugins at the same time? What else are you running that registers it’s own post type?

The reason I ask is this usually occurs due to a plugin flushing rewrite rules before ThirstyAffiliates has been initiated and registered it’s post type.

There’s a lot of plugins out there that do this incorrectly (it should only be done on activation and deactivation of the plugin) but the notes about this are very small on the register_post_type function docs so many devs miss it.

The solution you came to was the correct one, thanks heaps for posting.

Cheers,
    Josh

Thread Starter whistlerdan

(@whistlerdan)

I don’t believe I updated anything else at the same time.

I’m running a few other plugins that register a post type.

Firstly the theme itself does, Divi by Elegant Themes. Then there is WooCommerce, Social Lockers, Meta SLider and Image Hot Spots.

I think that’s it.

The thing is that I deactivated Thirsty Affiliates and it all went back to normal. Then I activated it again and everything broke again. That’s how I narrowed it down….. so I’m not sure that it is caused by another plugin. It really did seem to be caused by Thirsty Affiliates.

Hey whistlerdan,

If the rewrite rules are flushed by another plugin/theme at the wrong point then it can cause cascading issues for the plugins that do follow the correct method (ThirstyAffiliates, WooCommerce, and others). I’m betting along with Woo’s products pages not operating properly that the affiliate links were also not redirecting properly.

The rewrite rules flush that ThirstyAffiliates does on activation will have restored everything (it’s the same as going to the Settings->Permalinks page and hitting save).

My bet would be on the theme being the cause. Here’s the link if you want to do some more investigating:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/register_post_type#Flushing_Rewrite_on_Activation

I don’t have a copy of Divi to check but the code you’d be looking for if you’re searching in the theme would be the function call to register_post_type. If they’re doing a flush_rewrite_rules() function call or $wp_rewrite->flush_rules() after that register_post_type function call then this can be confirmed.

I’d be happy to check it out (then we can add some info to our knowledge base about it), but I’d need some access to your server. Feel free to email me josh at thirstyaffiliates dot com and we can continue the investigation in private 🙂

Cheers,
    Josh

Thread Starter whistlerdan

(@whistlerdan)

Ok thanks man I will email you soon.

cheers!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘2.4.8 update broke WooCommerce end points’ is closed to new replies.