WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Testimonials by Aihrus
[resolved] 2.16.2 blanked my entire site (26 posts)

1. pwizard
    Posted 8 months ago #

I updated 4 plugins this morning. Right after entire site went BLANK. Had to delete plugin folders one at a time until it came back. Turned out an update today to 2.16.2 was the cause.

Had to delete it for now. Please let me know when fixed.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/testimonials-widget/

2. africabab
    Posted 8 months ago #

I had the same issue as @pwizard. Once I deleted the plugin, my site came back.

I received this error:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting ')' in /home/content/h/u/n/huntermommas/html/africa/wp-content/plugins/testimonials-widget/lib/aihrus/class-aihrus-common.php on line 44

Please let me know when this is fixed.

3. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

4. pwizard
    Posted 8 months ago #

2.16.0 and 2.16.1 worked fine. .2 is the issue. Looks like I'll have to give up this plugin

5. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

What error was raised with 2.16.2?

Can you provide me the last few lines of the error_log?

6. Chris Barrett
    Posted 8 months ago #

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for the clarification on why that happened. BlueHost/Hostmonster is a widely used WP host. They default to 5.2 for legacy script support. It's easy to update, though. I've added instructions for BlueHost to your link - https://aihrus.zendesk.com/entries/30678006-Testimonials-2-16-0-Requires-PHP-5-3-.

Cheers!
    Chris

7. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

Chris,

You're a super star. Thank you for the help. I've added BlueHost to the list.

8. pwizard
    Posted 8 months ago #

We're on hostgator and have 5.3.10 installed. I could not find an error other than just a blank screen. Of course it could be a clash with another plugin, but it worked fine before this version.

9. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

10. pwizard
    Posted 8 months ago #

No Michael. WordPress admin and website were all blank so I couldn't switch themes. I had to delete the testomonials plugin via ftp to get site back.

I just installed 2.15.1 and it works fine for me so I'll just stick with that for the time being

thanks

11. africabab
    Posted 8 months ago #

Like pwizard, the previous versions (2.16.0 and 2.16.1) worked fine. However, 2.16.2 took my site down.

I use GoDaddy, and needed to initiate the update to PHP 5.3 from 5.2. I reinstalled the plugin, and all is working fine now.

12. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

@pwizard and others, could you toss me the lines of your error_log dealing with the testimonials plugin for 2.16.2?

13. Developer22
    Posted 8 months ago #

This is unacceptable. I'm on Bluehost and my whole site went down today. Who's going to cover lost revenue and dissatisfied customers?

Please post a fix ASAP.

14. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

@Developer22, I'm really sorry about your frustrations today. If you think you had it bad, please consider that my user base is some 300,000 users. My support system is under load today.

Anyways, for the folks asking if anything gets tested before release, yes it does. My plugins go out to 30+ beta testers, several live and development sites, plus a multitude of tests are run before any release happens.

In this instance, it's the fact that most folks are probably running PHP 5.2 which has been end of life for nearly 3 years. This release finally got into PHP 5.3 language specifics.

In any case, more details and fixes are at https://aihrus.zendesk.com/entries/30678006-Testimonials-2-16-0-Requires-PHP-5-3-.

15. pwizard
    Posted 8 months ago #

My error log returned nothing. However, after further analysis, I had to add this to my htaccess file:

# Use PHP 5.3
    AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php

Now it appears to be working. I'll have to keep an eye on things to see if the change affects other areas but so far so good.

Thanks. And @Developer22, saying this is "unacceptable" is a little harsh. Michael has given you a free plugin. Plus he is responsive to support tickets so give the guy a break. Removing the plugin via ftp restores the site.

16. ludens
    Posted 8 months ago #

I had same problem after last update. Adding

# Use PHP 5.3
    AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php

to my .httaccess file solved my problem to.

Thanks guys!

17. Developer22
    Posted 8 months ago #

I paid for my plug in. Everyone with the free version can figure things out. But I have Fortune 500 board members asking why development has halted.

18. elarson
    Posted 8 months ago #

As an FYI, I'm using Bluehost and updated to PHP 5.3, which automatically updated the .httaccess to use the following:

# Use PHP5.3 as default
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php53 .php

Note: the space appears to be needed between php53[space].php

I needed to manually add this to sub-domain's .httaccess files.

P.S.: I also think @Developer22 was a bit harsh. Micahel is very proactive about supporting his code. He can not be held accountable for software versions that were sunset almost 3 years ago. I also pay for the plugin. We sell software that costs far more than WP Testimonials, and even with that we have cut-off dates for support. PHP 5.2 was released on 2006-11-02 and supported until 2011-01-06. Most newer releases are now being de-supported 3 years after release. In many ways you should think of yourself as lucky to not have needed to deal with this sooner. Personally, I prefer to have some of the newer features supported rather than to maintain backward capability forever.

19. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

@pwizard, @ludens, @elarson, et. all: Thank you for the .htaccess tweak, I've added a note about that to https://aihrus.zendesk.com/entries/30678006-Testimonials-2-16-0-Requires-PHP-5-3-.

@Developer22, I've been where you are, it sucks. Further, you might want reconsider your deployment or release practices. For my enterprise and large scale clients, before anything went live it'd go through local, team, and staging systems before finally seeing production.

I know having to spend more time to prove something works in an environment in a major PITA, but taking down client sites is a worse headache.

20. Developer22
    Posted 8 months ago #

This is a development environment. I'm well aware of software management practices.
    Agile development and certain clients want to at least SEE what they pay for at any time they choose.
    Now, I'm not getting paid and instead getting to convince my client, your plugin was the correct choice, how to make sure it won't happen again and why we shouldn't just move to a closed environment like .Net
    I don't remember receiving a heads-up email about the update rolling out just before a major holiday nor the workaround inside the email. If you sent that to me and I missed it, then it's my fault.

21. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

@Developer22, Let's get things working again via the support email you've sent me.

22. Developer22
    Posted 8 months ago #

For the record - I apologize for my original statement of this being unacceptable.
    I really appreciate how quickly and often you have responded.
    If there is an easier way to organize notifications of future releases, can we discuss it?
    As my sites have hundreds of plugins, I am unable to visit each site proactively to see if there is an imminent update. Thanks for your understanding.

23. janmoore
    Posted 8 months ago #

Thanks Michael. The php version fix worked for me.

24. Michael Cannon
    Plugin Author

Posted 8 months ago #

@Developer22, Thank you for the apology.

Upgrade notices and changelogs are provided for webmasters to read before they choose to update Aihrus plugins. Just click the details link.

For Testimonials 2.16.0, there was no notification about the PHP 5.3 requirement because it'd passed all of the testing criteria and 30+ beta testers. However, once the Testimonials plugin got into the public and the PHP 5.2 issue was brought up, I've since updated the upgrade notice, changelog, and plugin description to reflect the PHP 5.3 requirement.

At this point, it's one of those things that was quite unexpected. Even WordPress SEO by Yoast had a similar issue not too long ago. Therefore, I'm not the only plugin author with wide user base, nearly infinite environments to account for.

25. EclipseDesignConcepts
    Posted 8 months ago #

Just chiming in. I too just ran an update on this plugin and I went from a working site and plugin to my entire site crashing out with the following error showing up on any page I tried to load:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting ')' in /home/arceof5/public_html/eclipsedesignconcepts.com/wp-content/plugins/testimonials-widget/lib/aihrus/class-aihrus-common.php on line 44

I used ftp to delete the file for now. Can someone point me to an older version of the plugin so I can get my testimonials up and running. I need to get in the habit of coming to this page for my plugins before running updates :p.

Edit: My host service uses PHP 5.3.27

26. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 8 months ago #

@EclipseDesignConcepts - this thread is marked resolved so it's not a good place to "chime in." If you want older versions, click on the developer tab -

http://wordpress.org/plugins/testimonials-widget/developers/

If you need additional help, please start a new thread.

You must log in to post.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.