WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.0.2 -> 2.3.1 db upgrade weirdness (13 posts)

  1. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    after 2.3.1 upgraded the db, i looked at the posts and noticed some of them contained seemingly randomly placed "Â" characters in various posts.

    any idea(s) why this is? i assume something got "lost in translation" during the db upgrade.

    any immediate feedback would be appreciated since i'm endeavoring to get this upgrade completed tonight for my client's usage tomorrow.

  2. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    ok, so i searched the forum and noticed the various posts referencing the UTF-8 issue.
    .
    this post in particular stood out:
    .
    Convert database to UTF-8
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/117955
    .
    as informative as that post, and these referenced links were:
    .
    Converting Database Character Sets
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Converting_Database_Character_Sets
    .
    UTF-8 Database Converter
    http://g30rg3x.com/utf8-database-converter/
    .
    i actually feel more confused about the nature of the problem i'm experiencing.
    .
    i did run g30rg3_x's 'UTF-8 Database Converter' against my 3.2.1 database (per his guidance) but the problem remains.
    .
    is it true that this seemingly wide-spread problem does not have an automatic and robust fix? and that the only way to "fix" the problem is by thoroughly understanding and executing the instructions on the 'Converting Database Character Sets' wiki page?
    .
    any and all advice would be seriously appreciated.
    .
    i still have a copy of my 2.0.2 database. so i can perform any type of procedure that is necessary to fix this problem.
    .
    if someone can re-state (in words different than what's in the 'Converting Database Character Sets' document) what i need to do, i would be very grateful.
    .
    also, any suggestions on what to observe to positively identify the exact nature of my problem (if it's not patently obvious) would also be very helpful in helping me to understand the nature of the problem.
    .
    .
    thanks,
    david

  3. moshu
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Was this a Fantastico upgrade?

  4. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    18 minutes ago, moshu wrote:

    > Was this a Fantastico upgrade?

    nope.

  5. moshu
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    So, in that case you do NOT have these lines in your wp-config:

    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');
    - do you?

  6. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    i upgraded by doing a "clean install" of WP 2.3.1, and "pointing" WP 2.3.1 to a copy of the 2.0.2 database via the wp-config.php file.

    the copy of the database was made at the mysql level.

    hopefully these details can help in guiding me. please ask if any other information is needed in order to help me.

    thanks,
    david

  7. moshu
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I asked a very simple question: do you have those 2 lines in your wp-config.php file or not?
    Yes? No?

    (oh, you are the smart one who didn't want to follow the upgrade instructions...)

  8. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    7 minutes ago, moshu wrote:

    > So, in that case you do NOT have these
    > lines in your wp-config:
    >
    > define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    > define('DB_COLLATE', '');

    incorrect. i DO have these lines in my wp-config.php file. probably due to the fact that i did a "clean install " of WP 2.3.1.

  9. moshu
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Delete them.

  10. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    4 minutes ago, moshu wrote:

    > I asked a very simple question:
    > do you have those 2 lines in your
    > wp-config.php file or not?
    > Yes? No?

    my post wasn't replying to that question you asked--you are replying faster than me.

    > (oh, you are the smart one who didn't
    > want to follow the upgrade instructions...)

    huh?

  11. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    2 minutes ago, moshu wrote:

    > Delete them.

    ok, i will.

    i can't do it right this moment however.

    will deleting them solve my problem or will i need to get additional guidance?

  12. moshu
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    If you didn't mess with anything else - it should work.
    And next time try NOT to invent your own upgrade thingy, just follow the instructions and don't try to outsmart WP!

  13. besonen
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    11 minutes ago, moshu wrote:

    > If you didn't mess with anything else - it
    > should work.

    ok.

    if you can offer me an understanding of why it will work with a simple change of some wp-config.php settings (and how the current settings create the odd characters i'm seeing) i would be very appreciative. i would really like to gain a better understanding of the nuances surrounding UTF-8 support in WordPress.

    > And next time try NOT to invent your own
    > upgrade thingy, just follow the instructions
    > and don't try to outsmart WP!

    i wasn't trying to outsmart WP. my 2.0.2 installation had some undocumented core and default theme file modifications. and i didn't want these mods to potentially result in WP 3.2.1 not working as it was designed to work.

    btw, thank you for your help.

    peace,
    david

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic