• Resolved labisca2012

(@labisca2012)

I am going crazy trying to figure out how the page margins disappeared from this site, which has a child theme .css, whose only difference from the orginal parent css is the following in at attempt to get the pages to be wider, which doesn’t seem to work anyway.

}
    .ie .site {
    	max-width: 1100px;
    }

On small screens, the page margins show, but on larger 13″ screens +, it’s as if there were no page margins left and right, and everything contained within the white of the page, including nav, page content, and footer, runs flush left on the edge of the page. I’ve tried replacing the .css with fresh copies, but nothing changes. Please help.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • No way to help without seeing the site…

Thread Starter labisca2012

(@labisca2012)

I tried to include the link but it wouldn’t let me “edit” my first post. Thank you for replying.

It’s here:
    http://www.blindwilliejohnson.com

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

WCLDN 2018 Contributor | Volunteer support

Did you try deactivating plugins to explore whether any could be responsible?

(@labisca2012)

No I haven’t largely because it was working fine until I went to edit an image and found that the margins were no longer valid. I have a virtually identical “beta” site page for a different client that works fine, the only difference being that I haven’t updated it to 3.2.5, and it uses a slightly larger body font size and different sidebar widget padding. Again, both sites have been made within the last three months.

That beta is here:

beta

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

Do you know who could have modified the “style.css” file?
    This is the cause:

body.custom-background-empty .site,
    	body.custom-background-white .site {
    		padding: 0;
    		margin-top: 0;
    		margin-bottom: 0;
    		box-shadow: none;
    	}

Specifically, it’s the “padding: 0;” style.

(@labisca2012)

I have no idea.

I asked in a separate post if there was a way to date stamp changes made to the css but no one has responded. My suspicion is that the client had someone work on the site without telling me when he wanted to add a few posts to the site, but I wouldn’t know how to track that, AND, if I haven’t been able to find anything changed about the css when I compare it to a virgin copy of the parent theme css, where exactly would these changes to the .css have been made?

So where/how did YOU find the above alteration?

What should I do to restore the original margins and padding?

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

So where/how did YOU find the above alteration?

I just looked for any suspicious styles on “<div id='page'>” using Chrome’s developer tools. I was already familiar with this theme so I knew there was supposed to be some padding styles applied to that element (which were being overridden).

What should I do to restore the original margins and padding?

You could replace the entire original style.css code over yours, but if you feel this would replace other modifications then look for line 1603 in style.css and remove that padding line.

Later on it’s worth tracking down which styles have been modified using a service like Diffchecker to do a spot-the-difference approach, so that you can transfer them to a Child Theme style.css file or a Custom CSS plugin. Otherwise your changes will likely be erased when the theme updates.

(@labisca2012)

Thanks so much, but I am very confused.

When I look at a virgin copy of 2012 style.css, it features exactly the code you are telling me creates the problem in my site.

As I said, I AM using a child theme (see first post) with a minimal alteration, but the parent .css is intact.

When I compare my parent to a virgin parent in diffchecker, there is no difference.

I just don’t understand why this is happening.

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

Looks like there’s a setting in the theme that is meant to remove padding if the background colour is empty or white. Try setting the background colour to be anything but empty/ white.

(@labisca2012)

OMG, that worked. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘2012 Theme Margins Have Disappeared’ is closed to new replies.