WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2011 nav menu page/titles larger and centered? (7 posts)

1. HD1234
    Posted 1 year ago #

Using a child 2011 theme I'm trying to get the nav menu titles organized, but after many hours of searching this forum and testing myself haven't found anything that works. What I am trying to do is this:

1. Menu page/titles font larger (without the menu bar getting larger along with it)
    2. center titles in the menu bar (on one line)
    3. Center titles vertically inside the bar

My site is here: http://humansdance.com/

As you'll see the menu is left and when I try to increase the font size anymore than it is they get larger, but the menu drops down to a second line and is still left of center. Its as if something is blocking the entire right side of the menu bar.. Could it be the search form? Which I currently have set in child style.css:

/* Search Form */
    #branding #searchform {
    display: none;
    }

Thanks for any help...

2. alchymyth
    The Sweeper & Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

all menu styles are under #access etc in style.css;
    as the height is defined in em units, you will need to correct that in some of the styles when you change the font size.

Its as if something is blocking the entire right side of the menu bar..

more difficult to find (although already asked and answered a few times in this forum - forum search?) this is caused by this style, about one-quarter down in style.css:

#branding .only-search + #access div {
    	padding-right: 205px;
    }
  3. HD1234
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yeah, I guess I missed those threads then. I have searched Google and this forum for answers (even landed on your website a few times ;), but many tips are for different themes, wanting different results, weren't fully explained or simply didn't work when I tried them in the child style.css.

Anyway, I think I understand what you mean on the first bit (under #access etc in style.css) but now I'm wondering if I should have copied the entire parent style.css to the child style.css before doing any editing - you're referencing what is in the parent style.css right? Not just little bits of code to add to a child which will make changes -or do I have it wrong? Confused. This is my first WP site and work with child themes, so I followed the WP guide and started with just the basic style.css and then have been adding bits of edit codes as I need them.

Before I do anymore editing, what do you reckon is the best way forward? Aside from adding page/post/product content in the dashboard I wont be doing much more editing to the site, so is it possible to just add some codes to what I already have in the child style.css or should I copy/paste the full parent style.css and then work from there?

4. alchymyth
    The Sweeper & Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

if I should have copied the entire parent style.css to the child style.css before doing any editing - you're referencing what is in the parent style.css right? Not just little bits of code to add to a child which will make changes -or do I have it wrong?

only add the relevant edited styles into your child theme - imho, copying the whole style.css is counter-productive and confusing.

5. HD1234
    Posted 1 year ago #

I agree. I had already spent a full week (unknowingly wrong) editing the entire site exactly how I wanted it via the parent style.css and other files only to find out later about child themes. So now it is just a matter of finding the right codes for the child theme that will make the changes I want for my navigation menu bar... any suggestions of code I might add (or edit existing #access) to get me going? I've already tried anything and everything resembling fonts, colors, padding and deleting/moving the search box in the codes there... obviously missing something ://

6. HD1234
    Posted 1 year ago #

Back to this issue I'm having again... I have searched the forum and tried every solution I could find yet nothing has worked for me -

1. Has been resolved, well sort of.. if I increase the font size anymore the menu titles begin to drop down below to another line, which then increases the menu bar size along with it. Ideally I would like to increase the size of the font (and actually change to a different font). This seems to be due to the hidden search form?

2. Still cannot get the titles centered on the menu bar -again, this seems to be due to the hidden search form?

3. Resolved.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

7. HD1234
    Posted 1 year ago #

Oh and adding to my child style.css at the top, the following code is the only one (out of 15 or so I've tried) that has been able to make any change at all to the menu, it moved it slightly to the right

#access ul {
    font-size: 13px;
    list-style: none;
    margin: 0 0 0 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    display:inline-block;
    }

I've tried altering all of the above, but unfortunately nothing changes.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic