WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 2010 theme not loading properly and no access to dashboar for subdirectory sites (14 posts)

1. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hello,

I've just installed multisite on my home blog http://jessicaklein.ca/ and successfully activated it and added the site http://jessicaklein.ca/portfolio/ which shows up under 'my sites' and 'sites', however I cant access the dashboard for it, and its not rendering the theme. Here is how I've configured htaccess:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

its hosted on justhost...I've checked db permissions and the blogs.dir permissions, they are set to "all" and "755"

Not sure what's gone wrong. I wasn't certain on how to create the directory blogs.dir using cpanel. I added a new folder and named it blogs.dir. The extra network tables are present in the db.

Thanks for the help.

2. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm contacting my host to see if the problem is with the htaccess file changes not being made--from another thread, it sounds like it must have to do with that file...

3. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

now all my sites are down and I can't access cpanel....
    "error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error."

I have contacted my host server again for help. Any insight appreciated!

4. That's definitely on the host end.

5. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

well my host didn't have much to say, only that 'I can be sure the mod-rewrite is enabled and works properly'. My sites came back online on their own and I regained access to cpanel. I think I might try reinstalling.

6. Check if allow override is set to include and all (your host can tell you this).

7. amadeus39
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm experiencing what I think is the same problem as Jessica at one of my WPMU installs, but not at another.

The site having the problem also has some remnants of a non-WP php program, so I'm thinking conflicts are possible there, despite my having installed WPMU in it's own sub-directory.

8. Please make a new post for your issue. Not the same and it will make it HARDER to help either of you in one post.

9. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

This back from my host:

AllowOverride is set to ALL

10. amadeus39
    Posted 3 years ago #

@Jessica or Ipstenua : where is "AllowOverride" ?

The solution to my similar issue as Jessica's because the end webpage result looked the same (theme not showing; no dashboard access) : I relocated the .htaccess file to the subdirectory where WPMU was installed.

11. amadeus39 - it's in the httpd.conf (you can google AllowOverride and find that out). But since you said you have a non-WP php program, it's a different type of debugging needed.

japk - Ask them if they can set it to MULTIVIEWS and ALL (those are different settings)

My section has this:

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride All

You'll need both :)

12. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

aayyiyi,

My host replies:

"Hi Jessica,

You can do this via .htaccess file,
    just add this line to top of .htaccess

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews"

So I did, doesn't seem to resolve the problem though.

13. Honestly, this is 100% something to do with your .htaccess not being read.

Tell them 'I did that, and it still isn't processing my .htaccess file.'

14. japk
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yup, you're right. Working through it with host. Thank you for all the help, much appreciated!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic