WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 2010 drop header image - filter? (3 posts)

1. ponderman
    Posted 4 years ago #

The function.php file sets the width and height of the header image, and I edited both to zero while re-designing the header. But that is no solution - the next upgrade resets all, and the function.php in the child theme does not override the 2010 function.php. How can I permanently remove the header or set width and height to zero?

2. Michael Fields
    Themer
    Posted 4 years ago #

You should be able to override the twentyten_setup() function just be defining it in your child theme's functions.php file. Last time I checked, the child theme's function.php is loaded before the parent's allowing for functions defined in the parent to be overridden if they are conditionally defined using if( !function_exists('function_name') ). The twentyten_setup() function is defined in this manner.

I would copy the entire function declaration into your child theme and hack away at it. If this solution does not work for you, I would suggest that you fork the theme. This is what I personally did.

Best Wishes,
    -Mike

3. ponderman
    Posted 4 years ago #

Mike - You were entirely correct, although I initially went about it in a wrong way by copying the entire function.php from the 2010 theme into my child directory and then modified the image settings. That created a host of other conflicts until I learned how to do it properly. I created an empty functions.php in my child directory and then copy/pasted only the clearly commented section related to header mods into that file and then set both, Height and width to zero.

The function.php in the child directory is READ FIRST, so whatever I declare there takes precedence over what exists in the default theme function.php. Basically one has to be very thoughtful about what NEEDS to be in the child's function.php, and nothing else. Thanks again. Mike

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic