• Hi, I have just upgraded our company’s blog from 1.5.2 to 2.0.1. Everything semt to have worked smoothly.

But then one of my colleagues wanted to change his password and could not even log in. I checked his entry in “Authors & Users”. Everything looked alright, so I tried to change the pwd for him. When I tried this, I got an “This username is invalid. Please enter a valid username” error.

After playing around a bit I found that all usernames containing umlauts (äöü) are treated as being invalid by WP 2.0.1. Now I don’t know what to do. Please help me out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Do all the other ‘Umlaut’-Users have the same problem or can they log in ?

That part has changed, the usernames are more restricted (to ASCII). But as far as I understood the code, the restrictions should only apply to new users, not to existing ones. You should insert an error report into trac.

http://trac.wordpress.org/

Maybe your user can use the “send password” functionality, to get his password and change it afterwards.

As I see it, the only things you can do, is
    – change the user names to non umlauts or
    – switch back to 2.0 (might be difficult without backup …)

There’s a third way: only change wp-include/functions-formatting.php

the function sanitize_user( $username, $strict = false)

should contain only the old line

return preg_replace('|a-z0-9 _.-|i', '', $username);

But that’s definitely a hack !

>>>That part has changed, the usernames are more restricted (to ASCII)<<<

not very user-friendly for non-english-speaking users, is it?

Usernames and display names are seperate, so you can still probably do whatever you want with your display name.

Having nice clean usernames is very helpful from a coding viewpoint.

That’s it. I think, the main target was to get it as secure as possible. Having ‘strange’ characters in a basic concept like a username can cause a lot of trouble (especially, if a lot of the developers can not test it) …
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m german and my last name has a ‘strange’ character in it. But I prefer less problems in development (and less bugs) to usernames with umlauts. But that’s only my opinion.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘2.0.1: Usernames with umlauts invalid?’ is closed to new replies.