WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[closed] 2.0 Very Soon!! (49 posts)

1. Can someone tell me how long it typically takes for Fantastico to integrate the new WordPress version?

Well, Fantastico won't have WordPress v2 now, because it hasn't been released yet. Once a new version has been released, the Fantastico team "checks it for quality and compatibility" and finally adds it to their repository. From that point, it all depends on how often your hosting provider synchronizes with those repositories. So, I guess that it would take anywhere from a week to six months.

There have been some reports here of problems following Fantastico installations, and the manual installation is quite easy, especially if you follow a good guide. I always recommend manual installations over the use of Fantastico.

2. joelwalsh
    Posted 8 years ago #

I have no way of knowing for sure, but with Fantastico it seemed with this last one (1.5.2) that the lag was about 1-2 months.

3. JeffServaas
    Posted 8 years ago #

thanks joel. That being the case, I think I'll have a go at installing 2.0 myself, rather than waiting for the fantastico update.

4. NekoFever
    Posted 8 years ago #

I'd upgrade it yourself. My original WP installation was a 1.2 install through Fantastico, but as this was a couple of days after the release of 1.5 and I wanted the latest version I upgraded that myself and have manually updated to all subsequent versions. As long as you back up all your files and your database so that you can easily roll back if anything goes wrong (can't emphasise how important that stuff is) they couldn't make it easier.

5. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 8 years ago #

It's out on 26th.

Backup your sites now - and the database

6. vkaryl
    Posted 8 years ago #

Back them up several times, in different places. Name them something like "before2.0A.sql.gz", "before2.0B.sql.gz", etc.

NOTHING in this world is worse than realizing that you've lost years of posts or fiction or whatever. Been there done that. It's more than painful.

REPEAT: back up several times....

7. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 8 years ago #

Repeat what ?

Backup

That one ? oh .... :)

8. vkaryl
    Posted 8 years ago #

What'd you say? Eh? Oh....

BACK IT UP so you don't lose it....

9. joelwalsh
    Posted 8 years ago #

Re: Fantastico, I think it is very useful (as long as the install is up-to-date). The reason it's useful is that it gets around all the different server configuration issues that can popup on a manual install. Having done both Fantastico and manual install on a few servers, I'd have to say that Fantastico is easier in cases where the server setup is a little different (no, I don't know enough about servers to understand why this is, except that the differences can crop up even when all the servers are the same version of Apache).

Also, if you have a host who updates Fantastico every week, you might have your new WP installation in your Fanastico within a few weeks of official release. But I don't think most hosts bother with updating Fantastico more than once a month, if that.

10. ian2
    Posted 8 years ago #

I've learned it the hard way .. I back up my site atleast twice daily.

11. spackletoe
    Posted 8 years ago #

So now that I'm all excited about this thing (and really excited about backing things up first) can someone point me to a list of improvements that are included in v2.0 so I can get even more excited?

Thanks.

12. That was already posted back on the first page, but since I'm in a good mood:

http://asymptomatic.net/2005/11/29/2135/whats-new-in-wordpress-20/

13. parisgv
    Posted 8 years ago #

guys, im thinking seriously to move to YAHOO! hosting which supports auto-back-up-upgrade of WP v2 what do you think?

14. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 8 years ago #

I'd seriously see how it performs first.
    But it's your blog....

15. febwa1976
    Posted 8 years ago #

parisgv The new Yahoo WordPress "easy" install etc does not work yet neither do all the advertized plugins...and the support is s l o w.

16. huphtur
    Posted 8 years ago #

Will all of the featured themes work with WP2.0?

17. parisgv
    Posted 8 years ago #

febwa1976 do you have a messenger? i have to talk to someone here. need some help

18. febwa1976
    Posted 8 years ago #

parisgv email yr msn or yahoo messenger details to febwa1976 at gmail and I will try to help

19. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 8 years ago #

As 2.0 is now available, this thread is redundant.
    Closing.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic