Support » Fixing WordPress » 2.0 – emails from wrong address

• Resolved eveums

(@eveums)

I just updated to WP 2.0. The problem I’m having is that my blog is now sending messages via an incorrect email address.

Previous behavior: A comment would arrive from the sender’s email address. A comment to be moderated would arrive from my gmail address, specified in Options.

Current behavior: A comment arrives from “wordpress@[mydomain].com.” A comment to be moderated arrives from “wordpress@[mydomain].com.” I have not set up a “wordpress@mydomain.com” address.

I’ve checked my user settings, and the email address is properly set to the gmail address. Is the new behavior a change in 2.0? How can I change this back to the old method?

Thanks!!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Thread Starter eveums

(@eveums)

Anyone have any ideas, please?
    Thanks in advance.

I’m having the same problem….
    Any ideas?

I found the fix here:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1164

But I’m not sure where to insert the code.

Does it go in wp_mail.php or wp_register.php and if so, where exactly does it go?

I’m a total newb…

Thanks,
    Matt

yeah, that really is annoying… i only get that when there is a comment to be moderated…the other way works fine…

hmmm

You edit pluggable-functions.php line 119.

Thanks to #wordpress on IRC!

Thread Starter eveums

(@eveums)

I tried this, and it didn’t work.

Specifically, the “please moderate comment” message comes from the correct Admin email address. The moderated comment still comes from “wordpress@server.com” instead of the commenter’s email address.

Quite frustrating for a blogger who responds to comments…

I’m assuming there must be one more function to edit, but I don’t know enough about WP to even guess as to which one it would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The earlier solution only corrects the sender address in a registration email.

If you hit reply to a comment notification the reply address is actually the poster’s address.
    To show the poster’s address in the ‘From’ field of the notification email:

1. Open pluggable-functions.php
    2. Change <$wp_admin> in line 290 to: <$comment->comment_author_email>

Voila!

<Geeky Excitement! I’m starting to get PHP! (I’m 90 Pages in to PHP5 and MySQL Bible.)>

Thread Starter eveums

(@eveums)

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help… but I’m still confused. Here’s the code, with lines above and below 290…

$wp_email = 'wordpress@' . preg_replace('#^www.#', '', strtolower($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']));

if ( '' == $comment->comment_author ) {
    [line 290] $from = "From: "$blogname" <$wp_email>";
    if ( '' != $comment->comment_author_email )
    $reply_to = "Reply-To: $comment->comment_author_email";
    } else {
    $from = "From: "$comment->comment_author" <$wp_email>";
    if ( '' != $comment->comment_author_email )
    $reply_to = "Reply-To: "$comment->comment_author_email" <$comment->comment_author_email>";
    }

Am I missing something? I don’t see $wp_admin… Help! 🙂

OOps..
    <$wp_email>
    to
    <$comment->comment_author_email>

Matt

Thread Starter eveums

(@eveums)

Matt,
    Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much for your help!! This board is very lucky to have someone as knowledgeable and gracious as you helping out.

Thanks again for your attention! 🙂

hello, i’m using wordpress 2.02 and made the change of <$wp_email>
    to
    <$comment->comment_author_email> in my pluggable-functions.php file but my comments are still coming back from the server default.

Please advise, thanks

wayne

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘2.0 – emails from wrong address’ is closed to new replies.