Support » Fixing WordPress » 2 WP blogs; self-hosted can't be found 404 error

• In June 2012 I took an online course that required me to open a WP account; I set the name meredithsterling.com as its default but didn’t put anything into the blog. A couple months later I opened a GoDaddy hosting account w/the name meredithsterling.com and downloaded WP into that account per their instructions — into the root directory.

I’ve added 11 pages of content to my website but cannot access it; I get the 404 error. GoDaddy says it’s a WP issue but (a) I’m not a programmer and haven’t done anything but use Suffusion and a few general usage plug-ins; and (b) I don’t know where to start.

URLs: the original WP blog: http://meredithsterling.wordpress.com/

the self-hosted WP blog: http://www.meredithsterling.com

I can view pages from the latter as they would appear but cannot actually make the site ‘appear’. What am I doing/not doing?

Thank you. (My instinct is that there’s a conflict between the original and the new blog titles … but I really have no idea).

Meredith

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Domain name seems to be ok. a 404 error means you are getting to the server but no default page (index.php, index.html, etc) was found.

Thread Starter meredithsterling

(@meredithsterling)

GoDaddy has responded as below:

this appears to be a scripting related issue, as the site meredithsterling.com/welcome.html (our default index page) loads, showing the permissions on the root folder are ok, and meredithsterling.com/wp-admin loads, showing there is not an issue with PHP itself, or parts of your WordPress setup.

This (from GoDaddy) doesn’t help at all as I have no idea what to do re scripting related issue … I certainly haven’t purposefully done anything related to scripting and don’t even know what it is. ??

Thread Starter meredithsterling

(@meredithsterling)

I keep wondering about a conflict in the naming: Since I CAN get to the original WP blog (content-less) with the meredithsterling.wordpress.com name but CANNOT get to the self-hosted WP website with the meredithsterling.com name, isn’t it possible that there’s a conflict because of the naming?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘2 WP blogs; self-hosted can't be found 404 error’ is closed to new replies.