Support » Fixing WordPress » 2 WordPress sites, one installation?

• Hi,

I currently have a WordPress site function as my main site right now (estrombone.com) and everything works great. Recently I’ve been thinking about starting a blog but I want to have it separate from estrombone.com in that I want to keep that one more professional and only for career related stuff, whereas I can blog away on a separate blog. If possible, I want to just do this under one domain, so I don’t know about using subdomains, or just having it be something like estrombone.com/blog.

The question…how and is it worth it? I’ve looked into some of the options, and they all seem rather difficult. I was looking at WordPress MU, but I read on the forums that it’s rather difficult and wouldn’t be worth it for such a small installation. I found a few hacks involving subdomains and splitting up databases or something, but I found those are rather complicated as well. Right now the way I was thinking of doing it was to install another whole installation of WordPress on my hosting (both with separate databases) then change the RSS link on my main page to say “blog”, then link to the blog site which would have a different theme. The only concern I’d have with that would be the inconvinience of having two different logins and managing two sets of everything like plugins as well as stuff like google indexing the new one, analytics, etc.

Ideally I’m trying to find a way to make 2 separate sites that have one hub…aka 2 wordpress sites from 1 installation, but I can’t seem to find a not so complex way of doing it, or at least I can’t find the Idiot’s Guide, because all the step by step guides escape me somewhat.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • hi

This addresses almost everything you are looking for http://wp-hive.com/

Thread Starter elburz_s

(@elburz_s)

I’ve been looking into that all day, and the installation is very troublesome. It’s supposedly plug and play, but I can’t seem to get it working right. The instructions are also seem to be written for people who are more advanced because I’ve been trying to do the “simple steps” for hours and I still can’t figure it out. I’ve checked their forums as well for help setting it up, and other people seem to have problems with the installation but I can’t find any help getting mine installed. At this rate, I might just deal with having two separate wordpress installations running.

Hi

I used wp-hive on one installation of 3 blogs and it worked well. Didn’t have many or any issue getting it going.

That said, maintaining 2 WP installs is not really that big a deal. You can even use a single database, if that helps, by changing the table name prefix in the wp-config.php file of the second installation. Then WP will create two versions of the WP tables in the same database.

If you do it that way, there is a method by which you can use the User table from one of the installs as the User table on the other install, if that is helpful, sharing the users between the installs.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘2 WordPress sites, one installation?’ is closed to new replies.