WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2 webistes...oh no (6 posts)

1. dkouskou
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hello World,

I am tasked with recreating a website for the company I work for. My boss does not have the access information for the website design used currently, as it was outsourced. I am buying an entirely new wordpress theme: The Responsive Theme through WordPress.

I am wondering how we would delete the old website if I am making a new one, as we don't want 2 websites running at the same time.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated....thanks!!

2. esmi
    Theme Diva & Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

I am buying an entirely new wordpress theme: The Responsive Theme through WordPress.

Buying? The Responsive theme is free!

With regard to your non-WordPress site, you need to contact your site's hosting provider for account and FTP details./

3. dkouskou
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hello Esmi,
    Oh it is free..hmmm interesting...when something is free I get a little weary of its overall capabilities in terms of SEO, which background colors it will be able to accomodate, its resolution, and where I can place wrap text around images the way I am intending in my original design concepts.

In regards to deleting the original website Oh boy, so essentially we need to be able to get those details in order to conduct a proper file transfer.

Also: Here is a summary of my goals for the website:
    --Adding an RSS news feed within the landing page
    --Adding my own gradient background color, but NOT as an image, I want it to fall under something like:

/*Firefox 3.6/background-image:-webkit-linear-gradient(top,#2F2727,#1a8f7);

so that the page will be able to load faster.

Summary of Responsive Theme
    Fluid grid system
    9 Page Templates, 10 Widget Areas, 6 Template Layouts, 4 Menu Positions (more once downloaded.)

Questions
    --What does a "fluid grid system" entail?
    --9 Page Templates: Does this entail that there are only 9 pages that can add the company information onto?
    --10 Widget Areas: Are these widget areas generally used for a summary of a certain service followed by a "Read More" section?
    --6 Template Layouts: I am guessing that these layouts of where spaces for certain information fall. I am guessing that I would choose these according towhere I would want the logo to fall followed by company information
    --What does 4 Menu Positions entail?

Sorry for the heavy influx of questions, I've been researcing this information but thought it would be best to reach out to experts as opposed to trying to interpret everything as a beginner...thanks!

4. Oh it is free..hmmm interesting...when something is free I get a little weary of its overall capabilities in terms of SEO,

Really? WordPress is free. ;) (I'm just saying, free shouldn't be a delimiter like that with WP).

Fluid grid means as you resize the page, the layout adjusts.

9 page templates means you have 9 to pick from and you can use 'em as many times as you want: http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Page_Templates

10 widget areas - They mean 10 of these: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Widgets

6 template layouts - Not sure what that means in this context.

4 menu positions means you can customize four menus: http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Menus_Screen

5. dkouskou
    Posted 1 year ago #

oh okay great! And yes I didn't mean that as a jab against wordpress...i have great respect for this entire forum and the templates

I don't know if you have ever used this template before on wordpress, but was wondering if the Responsive Theme would be accomodating to add a timed image rotater to the landing page, as well as an RSS feed for news updates on our company.

Again, apologies if these are really dumb questions, I'm quite an infantile at all of this!! Thanks very much for your help!

6. esmi
    Theme Diva & Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

Responsive is an excellent, high quality. theme with really good ongoing support. If you want answers from the experts, try asking these questions on http://themeid.com/forum/ That's where the theme developer hangs out. :-)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.