WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 2 sites with 2 domains (not subdomains of each other) (3 posts)

1. gregsm
    Posted 1 year ago #

I want to run wordpress in my virtualbox just for testing purposes. I still want it to be avialable to public, so I'm using a free second level domain for this, which is it.cx. (that's afraid.org service).
    So for example I made red.it.cx and blue.it.cx. (not really)
    I have dynamic IP, so I installed a service that automatically updates both records.

So I installed wordpress, and it uses red.it.cx for the main site.
    Then I enabled sub-domain multi site (actually it was subfolders first, but then I set ('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true)).
    How to setup the second site? I dont want another subdomain like blue.red.it.cx, I want another site at blue.it.cx.

I went to add a site, and typed "blue" in the address, so it created "blue.red.it.cx", then changed the URL to "blue.it.cx" from site settings/info tab. The site works fine, but when I try to go to the dashboard, I get some weird redirection. Like:
    http://blue.it.cx/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fblue.it.cx%2Fwp-admin%2F&reauth=1
    It doesn't let me login, so I can't manage that blog...

Tried to follow "WordPress MU Domain Mapping" guide, not even being sure if that's what I need, but nothing happens when I click "save" in "Domain Mapping Configuration" or "Domains". I put files as it said, with necessary permissions, and wp-config.php settings.

2. How to setup the second site? I dont want another subdomain like blue.red.it.cx, I want another site at blue.it.cx.

Then you should have installed in it.cx

But since you didn't, I would turn subdomains back to false (yes, use subfoldrs, hang on there), and then use domain mapping to map red.it.cx/blue to blue.it.cx

3. gregsm
    Posted 1 year ago #

"should".. Well it's a free service so I don't have access to the top level. But yeah I figured it out now.
    Just created the site as a subfolder, and then made the "blue.it.cx" link to that site's ID, through the domains setting. So it work perfectly now. Thanks.
    I also couldn't figure out what's that site ID, until I started to mess with bbpress recently. You can see ID in the link.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.