• hi,
    as of now, my server allows only one MySQL database. Is it possible to run two separate blogs (with different content/entries) with one MySQL database? Or do they HAVE to have two MySQL databases? What must I do? Thank you!
    Eleni

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Yes, they can share.
    When installing, check ‘wp-config.php’ and you will see something called the ‘table_prefix’
    In a default install, it will be ‘wp_’
    If you want to add another blog, then in the new one, make it’s table_prefix ‘wp2_’ or ‘second’ or pretty much anything
    If you then want to add another, again change it’s table_prefix again to something different.

Thread Starter Anonymous

I’m sorry I must make a correction to my first post. My server allows TWO MySQL databases and I would like to have THREE blogs running from my site. I currently have TWO blogs installed. Are the modifications only allowed during installation? The blogs are already installed, is it possible to do the modifications AFTER the blogs are fully installed and running? I tried changing the table_prefix names, but when I load up the site in my browser, it says “You dont have WordPress properly installed” or something to that extent. Help?
    thanks!
    Eleni

You cannot change the table prefix after you have installed wordpress, all you can do is make sure your next installation has a different prefix. I have five installations of wordpress working from one MYSQL database. I just gave each one a prefix, wp_1, wp_2, etc.
    The only way to mess with an installed wp table is through a database admin program and I would not suggest it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘2 separate blogs sharing 1 MySQL database?’ is closed to new replies.