• For context, I use earthlink as my web hosting provider and have installed wordpress through a built in admin interface via earthlink. The file directory only provides visibility to wp-content but no others.

PROBLEM 1
    My main issue relates to trying to provide domain credentials for new plugins. I get a Failed connection to the FTP Server (the ‘DomainName:21′ error). For whatever reason the number ’21’ is being added to the end of the domain name. I did some research and this problem has happened to others. Any suggestions? I did read one fix suggestion which is to install the Core Control plugin so that I can disable the Transport of “PHP FTP Extension”.

PROBLEM 2
    I’ve manually copied over the core control plug-in and have created the WordPress/wordpress-content/plugins/core-control and WordPress/wordpress-content/plugins/core-control/modules directories. I’ve activated the core-control plug-in but when I go to tools to access the Core Control I get an error message that says ‘ Undefined variable: msg in /services/websiteos/wordpress/wp-admin/includes/update.php on line 137’. The result is that none of the modules are appearing on the Core Control page. I’m not a developer so struggling with this. Any suggestions?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Dion Hulse

(@dd32)

Meta Developer

For context, I use earthlink as my web hosting provider and have installed wordpress through a built in admin interface via earthlink. The file directory only provides visibility to wp-content but no others.

That’s some context you never gave me in the email.. Contact your host, You’ve got a semi-managed installation of WordPress there, if you don’t have access to the WordPress files through FTP then the upgraders/installers can’t do anything.

Core Control is not going to magically fix the problem in this case, the undefined issues you’re having, and the can’t connect issues seem to be related to your hosting configuration (the semi-managed part) – Contact your host and see what they have to say.

For whatever reason the number ’21’ is being added to the end of the domain name

21 is the port number being connected to, which is the default port for FTP.

Yes
    My website pcday have this problem too
    and cant connect to FTP software.

this problem The yesterday occurred.
    If relevant PTPP or L2TP ports?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘2 problems – Failed connection to the FTP Server and Core Control Modules’ is closed to new replies.