WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2 different categories on blog to show up on 2 different pages (5 posts)

1. sublimenal
    Posted 8 years ago #

Hello Everyone, Im wondering if there is a way to sort of make 2 blogs. I'm using wordpress for a movie review website and the author wants one section for dvd's and one section for in theatre movies. Is there a way to seperate it into 2 seperate pages so dvd posts dont show up on theatre pages and vice-versa? Is there a hack out there that can handle this?
    Thanks !

2. Dgold
    Posted 8 years ago #

Yes, it is built into WordPress and is called "Categories."

Make 1 cat for DVD's, 1 cat for Theater. Each cat will automatically get its own category page which is only posts from that category.

If you wanted to force your homepage index to show all of 1 or the other, you can do that too, by modifying The Loop to only call the category you want to show there.

3. sublimenal
    Posted 8 years ago #

Well, Thats sort of a problem the way i have it set up right now. Im using the categories for the type of movie (ex: horror, action, drama, comedy) Any idea around that?

thanks for your fast response :)

4. sublimenal
    Posted 8 years ago #

can you explain how to change this loop?

5. Dgold
    Posted 8 years ago #

3 ideas/approaches

(1) Parent categories > sub-categories.
    Example,
    DVD
    DVD > Horror
    DVD > Comedy
    Theater
    Theater > Horror
    Theater > Comedy

OR

(2) Each post in more than 1 category.
    each post in either DVD or Theater cat
    PLUS also put it in a Genres > Horror type of cat.

(3) Or, this idea isn't as good to me but if you want, make your cats DVD and Theater,and get a "Tags" plugin for tagging all those other genres.

As for The Loop, there's no need for me to explain it. I can't write it out as clearly as it's already written in the Codex (which is the Docs page on this site). Search there for The Loop, and on that page look for info about limiting which categories The Loop pulls from.

To prove to yourself this would work just try putting &cat=2 at the end of your homepage URL in your browser. This action, you can build into your template.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags