WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2 completely different layouts using only one theme (15 posts)

1. hotinthenews
    Posted 4 years ago #

Hello;

I am using the beaughxie theme for my self-hosting blog. After I tweaked my theme the way I want it and I log out of Admin, my theme converts to a completely different look. Yet as soon as I log into WP as admin the theme shows up the way I modified it.

--Very Confused. Any suggestions what causes this?

Thanks

Lode
    http://www.nodeju.com

2. Samuel B
    Posted 4 years ago #

you may need to clear browser cache and site cookies

3. hotinthenews
    Posted 4 years ago #

I will try that.

Thank you

4. hotinthenews
    Posted 4 years ago #

Hello;

Sorry, but emptying cache and deleting cookies doesn't work. Still the same thing. Just weird. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

5. mikeboy3
    Posted 4 years ago #

Do you have the "Theme Preview" plugin activated? sounds like you might

6. hotinthenews
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thank you;

I do have preview active when writing a post but can't see a specific plugin for "theme preview". Where would I find that if not under the Plugin section? And why would that give me 2 different displays; being the correct one when I am logged in and the wrong one when I am logged out?

Thanks so much

Lode

7. Samuel B
    Posted 4 years ago #

if I go to your site what isn't there that should be - or reverse

8. hotinthenews
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thanks for responding.

The link below shows an image of what my theme suppose the look like but what it does look like. Hopefully this helps. Thanks again

http://www.nodeju.com/image/theme-look.jpg

Lode

9. Samuel B
    Posted 4 years ago #

I'm going to download the theme and see if I can help

10. danielpataki
    Posted 4 years ago #

Hi hotinthenews!

There is a plugin called Theme Test Drive, which can produce what you described. It's settings can be found under the Appearance menu (not settings or plugins).

This plugin enables you to see a different theme when you're logged in as an admin for testing new themes. If you want to test a new theme without all your blog visitors seeing different themes popping up, you can use this plugin to only show admins the selected theme.

However, I can't think of a reason why this would not show up in your plugin list, but who knows?

You might also want to check if there is any code in the theme wrapped between an if (is_user_logged_in()) or maybe if (current_user_can()) statements. The first one would mean that only logged in users see what is inside the if statement, the second specifies a user level as well.

Hope I could help, good luck!

11. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 4 years ago #

I'd try just deactivating all plugins first and see if that helps. If it does, you should be able to backtrack by re-activating plugins one-by-one until you find the culprit.

Another thought: did the original theme have a theme options page? Could you be picking up stored settings?

12. elfin
    Posted 4 years ago #

silly question - the changes you made to the theme, are you doing so directly, or via a copy of the theme?

If it was via a copy, are you sure you have that one activated?

But I do agree that it does sound like you have a plugin(or theme functionality?) that is testing the changes, and that those changes aren't being applied for everyone. So check the settings carefully for anything that might affect who views what.

13. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 4 years ago #

Another thought: it could be a CSS issue. Depending upon how you're floating/positioning those three columns, you could be inadvertently relying on admin-only generated content (such as an Edit link). As soon as you log out and that generated content disappears, the floats fall apart.

Assuming that this theme is currently live on your site, it also has a heck of a lot of validation errors - some of which could be causing layout problems - and a few CSS errors.

14. hotinthenews
    Posted 4 years ago #

Hello;

Thank you guys so very much. I will most definitely check out everything you've listed here and get back with you when I am done.

Very much appreciate you positive feedback.

Thank you.

Lode

15. Samuel B
    Posted 4 years ago #

thanks for jumping in guys

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic