WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2 blogs in multi-site installation are suddenly blank (14 posts)

1. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

We have a multi-site installation to manage 6 blogs. A post in one of the blogs was made 10/20/11, and a couple of posts in another blog were copied on the same date. When our blogger returned to the blogs to make posts the following week, both blogs were blank... totally blank, white page. I cannot access the dashboard, make a new post, or view the page. The other blogs are fine.

I upgraded all the blogs under the multi-site login. We do NOT access the back-end files, so there would not have been any bad code/blank code lines in the wp-config, unless somehow a blank line was inadvertently inserted into a content file when posting/copying.

I have located the backend files at the host, but I can't tell which content file is which, and quite frankly I am not confident enough in WordPress to go any further in looking at backend files.

I would be willing to contract a WordPress expert with experience in multi-site installations to help us fix this.

Thanks!

2. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Just wanted to add clarification:

I did NOT set up this multi-site - a contractor did a couple of years ago. We have attempted to contact this person, but he is no longer supporting WordPress installations.

These blogs have been in existence for over a year, probably 2 years - this is not a new installation.

No new plugins were installed, no changes to current plugins, themes, etc. The only actions that occurred was making a new post in one blog, and copying the content of a couple of posts in the other. A post has been successfully made to one of the "active" blogs since the 2 blogs in question have gone blank.

Thanks again.

3. Blank white pages are caused by PHP errors most of the time.

Are these sites using the same plugins or theme?

4. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Thanks for your reply.

Judging from the "live" blogs, they appear to be using a couple of different themes and various common plugins. Of course, I can't tell the themes/plugins of the blank blogs, but I expect the themes and plugins to be the same as one of the others.

5. You should be able to go in via wp-admin/networks and manually edit the site - there you can tweak the theme.

6. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Sorry - I'm not confident in WP. Do you mean in the backend files?

7. No I mean domain.com/wp-admin/network/sites.php

There's an EDIT site link :) You can use that to make (some) changes.

8. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Got it - I'll try it and get back. Thanks.

9. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Received an error message:
    Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at mysql50-53.wc2.dfw1.stabletransit.com. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    Are you sure that the database server is running?

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

10. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Okay - that was a host problem. I have corrected connection with host.

I'm now in the sites and can see all the blogs listed.

11. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

All themes have been updated. No change in blank blogs.

12. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

All plugins have been updated. No change in blank blogs.

13. Okay, you may want to try disabling plugins for those sites.

Get their site IDs, and then follow these directions: http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/02/18/quickly-disable-or-enable-all-wordpress-plugins-via-the-database/

Instead of editing wp_options, you'll edit wp_x_options, where X is the site ID.

14. allicatco@comcast.net
    Posted 2 years ago #

Thanks so much for your help. I ended up locating the person that was originally contracted to support these blogs (but never engaged) and had him review the files. He has one blog already fixed and finishing fixes on the other.
    I learned a lot in this process! Thank you for your patience!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic