WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2 Blogs, 2 addresses, one database, same content (12 posts)

1. noslee3
    Posted 8 years ago #

Hi All:

So I have been stuck trying to figure out the much talked-about RSS-generation issue, and I've tried all the previous suggestions, but I have my own solution...only it's not working...haha.

My solution: create another blog, link it to the same database but wiht no extra plugins and such, then it to generate RSS script. That way I have an RSS file with the data I need, and the links direct me back to my main blog.

Main Blog: http://www.diseducation.com/newsletter
    RSS-only Blog: http://www.diseducation.com/RSS-news

So installation goes ok, but the problem is that ever since installation, the Theme on the Main blog always goes to WP default...even though I re-select my own "Diseducation" theme. Every few hours or so it goes back to the default (which is what the RSS-only blog is set at)

any thoughts?

notes: I am runnning WP 1.5 on my main blog, and 2.0 on my new RSS blog. And I used hte standard installation program provided by my web-host to create the new blog.

Thanks!

any help would be grand

2. Chris_K
    Posted 8 years ago #

Man, I dunno why the heck you're off re-inventing wheels...

If you're trying to run two blog installs out of the exact same database and they ARE DIFFERENT VERSIONS your life is gonna be pure "D" hell.

What's the actual goal? Just about everything in your blog can be a feed, so if you'd let us know what you really want to accomplish, I bet we can help you figure out how to do it.

3. noslee3
    Posted 8 years ago #

that's fair...

my goal is to get a working RSS feed from this main blog (diseducation/newsletter) so that I can aggregate the feed into a 3rd page. but I'm getting the popular error when I use: ?feed=RSS2

"XML Parsing Error: xml declaration not at start of external entity
    Line Number 1, Column 2:"

and I tried the other suggested changes to plugins, themes, spacing, etc, and it still doesn't work.

Maybe another way to get that RSS feed would help, and I oculd get rid of that other install......but from the posts I've seen it's just tough to do.

4. Chris_K
    Posted 8 years ago #

If you disable all your plugins (in diseducation/newsletter), do you get that same error?

5. Chris_K
    Posted 8 years ago #

As an aside, you're running quite a few versions back.

6. noslee3
    Posted 8 years ago #

yea...I disabled all the plugins...still get the error...

I'm nervous about upgrading my 1.5 to 2...thinking I'll lose some data...

7. Chris_K
    Posted 8 years ago #

Eh, doubt you'd lose any data. The only real issue is plugins and truly, most have been updated (or alternatives exist). You're on a version that (as I recall I'm willing to be wrong) had some security issues and is missing out on some other fixes. Dunno if RSS2 is part of that... but I'd sure try it, personally (after a good db backup, of course!)

8. noslee3
    Posted 8 years ago #

I'll give it a shot...

but is the consensus that I shouldn't be trying to work 2 WP installs on the same DB?

9. Chris_K
    Posted 8 years ago #

If by same DB you mean exact same settings in wp-config, pointing to the exact same MySQL instance, yeah. If nothing use, the URI settings are going to hose up one of the installs.

10. moshu
    Posted 8 years ago #

It's not a matter of consensus, it's a matter of fact! The DB structure has been changed and it's different in 1.5.x and 2.x.

But even if they are the same version, it just doesn't make sense: your settings, like the URI of the blog is set in the DB - so how do you have two URIs...?

Based on what you posted earlier I had the impression that the whole "second" blog is there just to produce feeds from the first one. I just can't see the logic behind it...

11. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 8 years ago #

...but I'm getting the popular error when I use: ?feed=RSS2
    "XML Parsing Error: xml declaration not at start of external entity

Looking at your blog's feed, the problem is that you have a tab at the beginning of the feed. Most likely, some file that you have somewhere has an extra tab at the beginning of the file. Find that file, remove the extra tab at the beginning, and your problem is solved.

I'd start by looking at index.php in your main blog directory, along with wp-config.php and so on.

12. noslee3
    Posted 8 years ago #

wow....a tab at the beginning at WP-Config...that worked perfectly! thanks!!!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic