WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

1.5.2 to 2.1.2: Upgrade didn't in fact upgrade. (6 posts)

1. dyniss
    Posted 7 years ago #

My server provider said I had to upgrade from 1.5.2 to 2.1 or above because they were upgrading their own PHP which was incompatible with WordPress 1.5.2. So I downloaded 2.1.2, and followed all instructions from here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Detailed_Instructions

As per instructions, when I then entered the following with my browser to activate the upgrade...
    http://www.dyniss.com/blog/wp-admin/upgrade.php

...I got this "There was only 1 step, lucky you!" message. But my blog is still at 1.5.2, I repeated the process with identical results.

Suggestions to TRULY upgrade? I'm stuck at 1.5.2. Thanks in advance for responses.

2. maconmatt
    Posted 7 years ago #

Same problem here going from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2. I'm sure I'm doing something dumb.

3. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 7 years ago #

But my blog is still at 1.5.2, I repeated the process with identical results.

How do you know that your blog is still at 1.5.2? If you see that version number somewhere, then it's quite likely that you did not upload all the new WordPress files to the correct place or some such thing.

4. Doodlebee
    Posted 7 years ago #

Looks like you haven't turned off your plugins before upgrading. When I try to go to your wp-admin page (or your blog, for that matter), I get bad behavior errors.

You should turn off ALL plugins, then upload ALL the files in the new version (I'm assuming you backed up your site before you even attempted this, right?) and overwrite the old. Don't select files to upload - upload *everything* and overwrite all files.

Your wp-config file won't be overwritten, so you don't need to worry about it. Why those instructions tell you to not do the wp-content folder is beyond me. If you've backed up your files, then you already have a copy of anything you may need (theme files, plugins - that kind of thing). Overwrite it - it's not going to hurt a thing.

5. dyniss
    Posted 7 years ago #

Although doodlebee's comments were scaring me, I followed them and SUCCESS! Thanks for all responses.

Otto, I saw the version at the bottom of the dashboard page. That feature must still be intact, it is now reading the new version 2.1.2 on my dashboard page.

6. Doodlebee
    Posted 7 years ago #

LOL - sorry, didn't mean to scare you! But glad you got it sorted.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic