WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 1.5.12 and ecto (55 posts)

1. jd22123
    Posted 9 years ago #

I was just upgraded to 1.5.13 and am now unable post using ecto. When I save the post and try to publish it, I get this error - "Parsing failure! Could not parse response for "metaWeblog.newPost". Please check the console log for more information."

I quit and restarted ecto and was prompted that 2.3.6 was available. Downloaded and installed ... same error and inability to post.

The only change was the upgrade to the new version of ecto.

Also, the post ID in ecto is now a 14 digit number rather than the next expected post ID (613, 614, 615).

Please advise and thank you in advance. My guess is that I will need to revert to the previous version but was curious whether anyone else has seen this.

Thank you,
    Jim
    http://www.realcentralva.com

2. PhilHull
    Posted 9 years ago #

I am having a similar problem with BlogJet. I get this error:

Error Posting to Blog:
    TResult.GetString - Item is not a string type

3. jd22123
    Posted 9 years ago #

here is the error I am getting in the Console log -

Response:

<b>Fatal error</b>: Call to a member function on a non-object in <b>/home/realcent/public_html/xmlrpc.php</b> on line <b>548</b>

4. skippy
    Posted 9 years ago #

Downgrading to WordPress 1.5.1.2 is strongly discouraged.

Several folks are looking into the specifics. Stay tuned, please.

5. Ryan Duff
    Posted 9 years ago #

xmlrpc.php was changed quite a bit due to the security fixes. I'm sure Matt and Ryan will take a look into this since its probably just a typo after all the changes made yesterday.

6. masquerade
    Posted 9 years ago #

I am unable to confirm this problem on a test install, so I'm setting up another one locally.

7. skippy
    Posted 9 years ago #

Using an unmodified 1.5.1.3 install of WordPress, I was able to post with BloGTK from a Debian GNU/Linux workstation.

8. masquerade
    Posted 9 years ago #

I still can't reproduce this, but I think that skippy may have found a potential fix and I'm posting it to the wp-hackers mailing list. If someone cares to contact me via email with access information to a test install so I can test the solution, my email is false.hopes@gmail.com

9. masquerade
    Posted 9 years ago #

Alright, I was just able to reproduce the problem, and I have a potential fix. If anyone could apply this patch and test it out it'd be greatly appreciated.

Index: branches/1.5/xmlrpc.php
    ===================================================================
    --- branches/1.5/xmlrpc.php (revision 2672)
    +++ branches/1.5/xmlrpc.php (working copy)
    @@ -502,13 +502,11 @@

global $wpdb, $post_default_category;

- $this->escape($args);
    -
    - $blog_ID = $args[0]; // we will support this in the near future
    - $user_login = $args[1];
    - $user_pass = $args[2];
    + $blog_ID = $wpdb->escape($args[0]);
    + $user_login = $wpdb->escape($args[1]);
    + $user_pass = $wpdb->escape($args[2]);
    + $publish = $wpdb->escape($args[4]);
    $content_struct = $args[3];
    - $publish = $args[4];

if (!$this->login_pass_ok($user_login, $user_pass)) {
    return $this->error;

10. Ryan Boren
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 9 years ago #

Updated xmlrpc.php available here. Try that out.

11. metrixon
    Posted 9 years ago #

hi,
    I can confirm that at least updating entries works fine with the patch (updating entries was broken before as well).

12. Angelix
    Posted 9 years ago #

I've just posted to another thread
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/37772?page=1
    But this updated xmlrpc.php has another problem of systematically adding default category even if other categories are selected. A problem similar to the one reported before:
    http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1355
    I've commented out line 567 for the moment to prevent this.

13. Angelix
    Posted 9 years ago #

Oops, I thought it worked but it actually doesn't.
    I got to put back my old 1.5.1.2 version xmlrpc.php after all.

14. metrixon
    Posted 9 years ago #

There are still problems with the xmlrpc-file.
    I managed to work around the category problem described above by commenting the lines that contain the else-block responsible for the category-behaviour.

However, I'm not able to add images using ecto or marsedit.
    the file is uploaded correctly, but the data seems to get messed up during decoding. If I try to open the file stored on the server, my graphics-app (GraphicConverter) tells me, that the file is broken and that it does not recognize the file format.
    The image is not displayed in browser apps as well (neither firefox nor safari).

Don't get me wrong, but if so much was changed in the rpc-api there should've been much more testing prior to releasing this buggy implementation...

15. masquerade
    Posted 9 years ago #

But if you're blog was compromised, you would fuss that a security release was not issued fast enough. The devs and all of the volunteers are doing the best they can, but nobody is perfect. If you think you can do better, then please, step up.

Also, Nothing was changed about the API, there was a security issue which involved non-escaped content being allowed through.

16. gpshewan
    Posted 9 years ago #

Security issues don't mean the basics of software release go out of the window. Assess/Develop/Test/Test/Release. The ball was dropped here and you certainly don't tell users to "step up" to do it themselves - that's just petulant and immature and theres no need, it's not going to get the issues resolved.

As someone with an interest in seeing this fixed, I'd love for the usual jingoism to just not get started.

17. Ryan Boren
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 9 years ago #

This version has a confirmed fix for the image upload bug and an unconfirmed fix for the category bug. Please try it out and provide feedback.

18. johnoz
    Posted 9 years ago #

Though you'd like to know: I just used the above fix and I still can't post a new post nor can I update a post using Ecto. Think I'll go back to 1.5.1.2 also...

19. Ryan Boren
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 9 years ago #

Any other ecto testers out there?

The 1.5.1.2 bug is being actively exploited. Going back is risky.

20. johnoz
    Posted 9 years ago #

I'm not sure if I did anything different but due to your advice I reinstalled 1.5.1.3 and then updated the xmlrpc.php mentioned on this thread http://wordpress.org/support/topic/37772?page=1 . Echo and Mar both post and update okay but I cannot post any images without an error. The image is uploaded but it doesn't display and when you click on it it says "...image contains an error".

21. johnoz
    Posted 9 years ago #

BTW the old category problem came back for me as well. I have also commented out lines 567 and 623 --the lines that contain the code $post_category[] = $post_default_category; and that seems to have fix that issue.

22. angsuman
    Posted 9 years ago #

Johnoz, is your final code free of all problems now with Ecto etc.?

Can you then please post it?

23. metrixon
    Posted 9 years ago #

masquerade, of course you are right -- security is important.
    I really recognize the big workload and time the devs and volunteers are putting in wordpress and I really, really appreciate their work. I don't want to criticize the people behind wordpress - nobody is perfect as you pointed out.

Try to see it from my point of view:
    I wanted to test wordpress and see if it fits my needs. I download the latest release - not a beta release, not a nightly build - an official release.
    I install it and try to use Ecto with it and I encounter not one but several bugs that should have been noticed by just trying to post an entry via xmlrpc.

That was quite frustrating because otherwise I think WordPress is really a great piece of software :-)

anyway, I tried the newest patch mentioned above:
    The category-bug is fixed, but I still can't upload images using ecto or marsedit (same problem as described by johnoz).

24. angsuman
    Posted 9 years ago #

@Metrixon and others
    Just because a software is Open Source doesn't mean quality procedures need not be followed.

A release is a release, well tested and all. It is not a nightly build.

Look at the recent releases: 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.1.1, 1.5.1.2, 1.5.1.3
    Isn't that amazing! It is not an issue of rapid development that people are trying to justify. The major issue affecting WordPress these days is quality of releases.

And don't anyone give me that - it is free software, go ask for refund c*p. Is isn't funny anymore.

Finally would anyone put a lid on these query parameters not checked defects. That escape method looked interesting.

25. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 9 years ago #

angsuman - if you are so clearly unhappy with WordPress, why use it ?

26. graemep
    Posted 9 years ago #

Podz - perhaps because of the time and effort needed to move once you start.

I doubt I would have used wordpress if I had expected this number of security updates, however having put considerable effort into getting my sites running on wordpress. However having done three customised themes and having started work on a simple plug-in and having put all my content into WP, the effort required to move would be significant.

angusman seems to have put a lot more effort into WP than I have, so I guess it would take him a correspondingly greater amount of work to move.

I suspect no-one who is unhappy with wordpress is saying its all bad - see metrixion's comments - if we thought that we would not be using it. However it seems to have developed a fatal flaw. If it gets to the point where the effort involved in continual upgrades is greater than that of moving to another platform THEN it makes sense to move.

For my part I use wordpress because it is simple to use but flexible -i.e. it is the easiest way to do what I want. The biggest problem has definitely been the frequent updates.

27. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 9 years ago #

Fair enough.
    I too use it because it is simple, flexible and fast. While I appreciate that security updates in such rapid succession can be annoying, this is the first time with WP that it has happened so much. Many products have security issues, after all few coders against many hackers.
    I just don't see the point in having a go at the devs. It's not like they are sitting there laughing about this is it ?

I also take the view that if you customise any program then the 'maintenance time' when upgrading is automatically made longer because of your actions.

And please don't forget that life for us forum helpers is made more difficult by these issues happening.

28. Minna
    Posted 9 years ago #

You could be spending your time a lot worse than upgrading WP... like having a cigarette. Upgrading even takes less time than that! :)
    Besides, hasn't there been quite a lot of small, security upgrades to Firefox too for instance, and people just keep loving, praising, and using it (Mozilla Girl here, hi). Upgrading THAT is a bigger pain in the neck.

I just wanted to say that I for one am not bothered at all. :)

29. johnoz
    Posted 9 years ago #

I'm not free of all problems. Still cannot display uploaded images from ECTO or Mars. As mentioned before, the images seem to get corrupted on upload. Once uploaded I cannot view them in anything incl Photoshop. Happy to send you my code as requested (I suppose you mean my xmlrpc.php) but not sure how to do that

30. johnoz
    Posted 9 years ago #

my xmlrpc.php

http://phpfi.com/67758

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags