• I have a few questions, I’m new to this stuff so please be patient and I’ll get to the point:

1) I have several link categories, how do I get each of my categories to display with the links listed beneath them as opposed to just having all the links appear beneath 1 single section (the ‘links’ section in my template)? Regardless of what category a link is assigned to, they all appear under the same section in the template.

2) How do I remove the (1) from the categories listings showing how many posts are in each category? I’d like my cats to display with simply their name, not the amount of posts contained in each.

3) How do I get the date posted to display along with my date for each post?

4) When you view an individual post, at the top of it to the left and right, it has navigation for the previous and next articles listed above the title of the article currently being viewed. How do I remove that?

5) When I try adding a border around images used in my posts, the border shows up as black. When I search the stylesheet, I do not have anything referencing black/000. How do I set the border so that it is the color of my choice?

6) Is there a simplified walk-thru for getting livesearch to work in 1.5? I can’t seem to get it to work using the info found here blog4.bitflux.ch/wiki/LiveSearch and here http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2004/09/25/livesearch/

My site is located here: http://www.jefframbo.com/justicerestored

Thanks for any assistance.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1 and 2)
    My sidebar.php, in part, looks like this:
    <ul>
    <li id="here">Here
    <ul><?php wp_get_links(11); ?></ul>
    </li>

<li id="friends">Friends
    <ul><?php wp_get_links(2); ?></ul>
    </li>

The (number) is the cat ID.

3). That part of my index.php looks like this:
    <h3><?php the_time() ?></h3> instead of the_date

4). Look in index.php, for anything after a tag like this:
    <?php if ($single) { ?>
    and that’s probably what is doing it.

5. In the css, try:
    img {
    border: 1px solid #ff0000;
    }
    That’s red. If that doesn’t work, it may need something before the img tag
    .storycontent img {
    border: 2px dotted #ff00ff;
    }
    might then be worth a try

6. No idea – sorry. Haven’t used Livesearch 🙂

Post back though if this stuff gets confuing and DO make a BACKUP of your files before changing them please !

Thread Starter jefframbo

(@jefframbo)

I was able to figure out everything except #1 and #4.

#1- I was able to get the different link categories listed, but I can’t figure out how to remove the number of posts contained in each category.

#4- I looked for what you pointed out, but couldn’t make heads or tails of anything.

Thanks for the help thus far. It is very appreciated.

Thread Starter jefframbo

(@jefframbo)

The above was to state that I was able to figure everything out minus issue #2 and #4 in my original post. Not #1 and #4. Can anyone help?

Could you save copies of your main template as .txt files and upload them to your space ?
    It will be easier to help if we can see the code.

2) in your sidebar is: <?php list_cats() ?> somewhere.

Inside you can specify some options, eg:

<?php list_cats(0, ”, ‘name’, ‘asc’, ”, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0,”,”,”,”,”) ?>

The explanation:

* 0 or 1. 1 means display an extra ‘all’ category (default is 1)
    * text to display for the option to show all categories (default is ‘All’)
    * sort by: possible values are ‘name’ and ‘ID’ (default is ‘ID’)
    * sorting order: possible values are ‘asc’ for ascending or ‘desc’ for descending (default is ‘asc’)
    * filename, in case you want to display the categories’ posts in another template (default is current template)
    * 0 or 1. 1 means generate the items inside

• tags, to build an HTML list. 0 means to just follow each link with a
      tag. (default is 1)
      * 0 or 1. 1 means display the date of the last post in each category (default is 0)
      * 0 or 1. 1 means display a count of posts in each category (default is 0)
      * 0 or 1. 1 means hide empty categories (default is 1)

4) I think you might find something like this:

<div class=”navigation”>
    <div class=”alignleft”><?php posts_nav_link(”,”,’« Previous Entries’) ?></div>
    <div class=”alignright”><?php posts_nav_link(”,’Next Entries »’,”) ?></div>
    </div>

(that’s in the default 1.5 theme). You can try to remove that.

Thread Starter jefframbo

(@jefframbo)

dissurion == thanks. I had been using the documentation to make the adjustment but for some reason the parameters were not in order with the documentation so I changed one of the other 1’s to a 0 and it worked. problem 2 solved, as far as problem 4…

podz:

http://www.jefframbo.com/podz.txt

#4 <div class="navigation">
    <div class="alignleft"><?php posts_nav_link('','','« Previous Entries') ?></div>
    <div class="alignright"><?php posts_nav_link('','Next Entries »','') ?></div>
    </div>

As dissurion said, does removing that help ?

Thread Starter jefframbo

(@jefframbo)

found it… I thought I had fully tried your solution at first dissurion but I realized those strings appeared more than once. It was the 2nd instance of it that removed it. Thanks.

Now what if I wanted to place it at the end of the post instead of the top of it?

Thread Starter jefframbo

(@jefframbo)

Thanks guys, btw. I appreciate all of this help.

Btw, podz, since I’m using a 1.5 nightly… if it crashes and burns and kills Michael Moore in the process, will my insurance cover that or is that not addressed under beta licensing? 🙂

Yup – now you’ve got the right bit, try it in a different place. trial and error, not only to see if it’s correct, but also so it loks just how you’d like it.

Like podz suggests, trial and error. Like moving it a bit down the page. 🙂 Like somewhere above where you’ll encounter something that looks like you’ll be in the comment area.

Thread Starter jefframbo

(@jefframbo)

Gracias, amigos. Will do.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘1.5 Questions’ is closed to new replies.