WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

1.5 installed but (7 posts)

1. dawg
    Posted 9 years ago #

is using a shared DB, How do I create it's own db though MySQL so it is in the correct folder, I do not want to install wordpress though cpanel because I have 1.5 already in a unique folder. This stuff is blowing my mind but will probably find it simple soon. Thanks in advance!

2. Kafkaesqui

Posted 9 years ago #

Doesn't cpanel allow you to create a new database?

http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/cpanel/ (look at the "Make Database" section)

3. alienvenom
    Posted 9 years ago #

Your database has to be in the format of user_database.

So if you wanted to create the database "wordpress" as the user "bob" it would be "bob_wordpress".

When you tell the script to use the database, make sure you include "bob_wordpress" and not just "wordpress".

Also, your user has to have permissions to create new databases too. This is a MySQL configuration thing and has to be done by the "root" (sysop) user.

4. dawg
    Posted 9 years ago #

Thanks, I did get it installed yesterday in it's own DB. I am somewhat confused if it is actually using the db that I created though. Does WordPress install it's own db when you point your browser to the install file or does it have to already have the db defined?

It is just a toy for now til I figure it out but I got the navbar in place on the comments page!

I am having troubles with the sidebar lining up though, I tweaked it though css using position: absolute;top:260px;</> but it should go up there on its own.

http://cafe789.com/journal/?p=1#comments I know the calendar and links are out of whack.

use the web developer extension to edit the css with this[position: absolute;top:260px;] and you will see it pop into place.

5. lbessant

Posted 9 years ago #

WordPress can't create a database - it creates its tables in the database specified in the wp-config.php file. If a shared database is being used, you can set a different table prefix in wp-config.php - have a look in the file and you'll see where.

This can be useful if your host restricts the number of databases you can have (or charges per db) - you can have multiple WordPress installations sharing the same database without interfering with each other.

6. dawg
    Posted 9 years ago #

Any ideas on the side bar sitting below the content on the comments page?

7. NuclearMoose
    Posted 9 years ago #

You are more likely to get your questions answered if you restrict a thread to a single question, rather than adding questions on as you go.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.