WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

1.3 Timeline (21 posts)

1. erogers
    Posted 9 years ago #

Is there any timeline for 1.3 ? (even a ballpark estimate) I'm just curiuos when a beta might available to play with.

2. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

Well, I believe you can always download the CVS version (that is the latest version available) however, since it is still in development, there might be a bug or two (or more, I don't know, haven't played with it). However, I do agree it would be nice to know if there is a timeline. A lot of open source projects have a "it's done when it's done" release policy. Others release a stable release every set time period (say 6 months, or maybe a year) and whatever features aren't 100% stable are excluded. I'm not sure which the wordpress team do, I guess I should sign up for a few mailing lists here to track the general pulse of development.

3. erogers
    Posted 9 years ago #

Yeah I know about CVS, but I'm interested in a packaged release that's easier to download and a bit more stable. It seems like in the past there has been more communication on the dev blog about upcoming versions, features, etc.

4. max
    Posted 9 years ago #

I agree. Look we know this is not a corporation and you work on this at your own pace. But it sounds like there are significant changes in 1.3 and some of us don't have time to monitor the beta list to get a pulse on how close a beta or offical release may be.
    Just be a bit more revealing about where it's at. If its extremely likely to be release by Thamksgiving, or it highly unlike until 2005 those cause major differences in decision making. But they are both answered typically with "real soon".
    Not trying to be critical but the communication level needs to be a bit clearer.

5. Beel
    Posted 9 years ago #

How's this for clear - stop asking when it will be released. It will be done when it is done, 'nuf said? The communication can't be clearer - you just don't like the answer ;-)

6. Brak
    Posted 9 years ago #

A beta will be released once the features are set. A full release will be ready once it's done.
    It'd be nice to get a clear date... but hey, we can't have everything :) Honestly - 1.3a4 is very stable. I've had very little problems with it. If you're itching for the new features just use it. That's my personal reccomendation.

7. lstelie
    Posted 9 years ago #

Hello,
    My 2 cents
    Been a open spource free software it's perfectly understandable that releases dates are not regular as a swiss watch tic-tac.
    On the other hand 1.3 alpha4 works perfectly well and PHP/MySql are easy enough to allow someone to backup the databse, test alpha4 and decide if he/she keeps it or step back to 1.2
    This said, IMHO the problem with the long awaited 1.3 is not a functional problem but a design one.
    The new theme system involves modifying several files and each time the version is uptaded the theme must be updated (this was not the case with 1.2 where a theme could be only a single cs file), the consequence is a real lack of 1.3 design.
    Perhaps it would be good to define a point in the middle of the road to 1.3 final where the message "ok guys you can start to move" would be sent to encourage people to write themes for 1.3.
    Luc

8. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

ryan boren has ported kubrick to 1.3 and root has done the same for gemini, so that's not the issue. the actual issue is that matt has a new job and is busy moving cities at the moment, which makes things kind of hard to put a timescale on. what makes you think the devs have any more idea when 1.3 will be done than the rest of us? ;)

9. bealers
    Posted 9 years ago #

I'm a new user and 1.3a4 is stable from what I can see.

10. Ryan Boren
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 9 years ago #

Here is what we're trying to get into 1.3. Once Matt gets situated, we need to decide what needs to be punted and drive 1.3 into beta cycle. I don't give estimates. People hold you to your estimates and act like you slept with their spouse and ran over their dog when you don't meet that estimate. ;-)
    The theming in 1.3 is completely optional. You can keep on doing what you're doing. If you do create a theme, it can be one template or multiple templates. It can also be a solitary css that works with another template. The theme does not need to be updated each time WordPress is updated.

11. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

If the rest of 1.3 is half as good as what's already in the nightlies, it'll be well worth the wait, no matter how long it takes.
    And, yeah, if you're impatient then use the alpha. It's at your own risk and all that folderol, but I don't think many of us are doing rocket surgery here. Live dangerously.

12. timeistight
    Posted 9 years ago #

That was me. I wish the was a warning when I do that.

13. Bard09
    Posted 9 years ago #

I'm interested in any speculative date as well. Of course, I'm only wondering one thing:
    Will we see 1.3 stable in 2004?
    I guess this is a little bit selfish considering I'll have time over the holidays to delve into my WP builds more directly. But it would be nice to know at least the *year* they're shooting for. :)

14. Bard09
    Posted 9 years ago #

Well, I didn't mean stable in terms of the individual builds. I meant the equivalent of a 1.2.1 Mingus build. I edit a lot of core WP files for each setup, and constantly updating individual files for each CVS builds is a MAJOR hassle.
    Any word on 2004/2005?

15. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 9 years ago #

And on the day 1.3 is released, we'll have someone here asking for 1.4 ... gah!

16. notRyan
    Posted 9 years ago #

LoL
    What's wrong with the alpha anyways. I'm using it just fine.

17. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

But we are not eight year old kid (well some of us aren't). We just want to know, if this were a trip from Texas to California, are we still in Texas, near Las Vegas or in Vermont?
    :-)

18. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

Honestly, A casual visitor can't determine at what stage you are at. The DevBlog has not been updated in a month and the download page gives no indication outside of the last stable release. You don't need to give an estimate of how far (or long) the rest will take, if at least you give an indication of how far you have gone.

19. shelleyp
    Posted 9 years ago #

beel, oh, insider humor. I'll look more closely for the wink-nudge next time.
    So I've summarized what I've reverse engineered out of all of this here .
    So Dashboard is going to become an aggregator. Of RSS 2.0 feeds. And it looks like the default feed is RSS 2.0, and you're automatically wrapping URLs as enclosures?
    My.

20. erogers
    Posted 9 years ago #

If stuff like this was posted on the dev blog you would be getting far fewer questions about the timeline.
    Maybe the problem is that the info is scattered in too many places.
    I now count six big sources of info: Dev blog, wiki, forum, Codex, Planet, and beta listserv. Then all of the developer blogs. I didn't even know about codex and planet sites until just now, becuase I was looking to the Dev blog for this info. WordPress.org almost seems like an after-thought at this point.
    That's too many different places to scour for information.

Yes, we need to update the DevBlog more often. Bad devs. We're experimenting with Planet WordPress. Many of the main contributors post development updates to their blogs. Planet WordPresswill aggregate all of that.
    As for the state of 1.3, we are at a "fairly" mature alpha stage. There are still some features we would like to finish up and include, but the time to draw the line is nigh. The 1.3 page in codex is the master 1.3 checklist and the best place to get an idea of where we're at. I keep it updated.
    So, what's going on at the moment? Matt's Magpie comment on his blog hints at some Dashboard progress. We've got someone working on an exporter and coordinating with some other projects to decide on the format. The Geo stuff is being turned into a more fully featured Location plugin. Security audits are ongoing. I've been working on some I18N improvements. API allowing plugins to more easily add pages to the admin UI is in. We now support feed enclosures. The page feature is maturing nicely. More people are creating themes, and counter-spam plugins are emerging left and right. Some good documentation is going into codex.
    When will it be released? Hopefully this year, but we need to get into beta and start fixing bugs before we can say. At the moment, there is no set release. See Michelangelo's response to the Pope for the best estimate.

21. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

Well, maybe ryan will cut and paste the things he just helpfully told us to his own blog or the dev blog so more people will be able to see it.
    I would say your list of six is pushing it a bit: can't remember the last time I saw anything useful about 1.3 on the devblog or the wiki, and thought codex wasn't officially live till 1.3 anyway?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.