• I’m using 1.3 A 5 with Ryan’s Kubrick port.
    I’ve been trying to modify my sidebar but none of the changes appear to be taking effect. I’ve even gone as far as eliminating ALL the PHP code on the sidebar.php file and just having the sidebar DIV have a paragraph with just the text STUFF and the site still displays all the search bar, categories, links and admin link.
    Like I didn’t even do anything to the file.
    Am I going crazy? This SEEMS like the right place to be editing this.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Thread Starter motoed

(@motoed)

Forgot to mention, I’m editing in the theme editor.

Thread Starter motoed

(@motoed)

Thanks Beel… It’s too late for this. I’m going to bed. πŸ˜‰

If you have a sidebar.php in the WP root directory then it pulls that one and not the one in the Kubrick directory.

Thread Starter motoed

(@motoed)

Really?
    Shouldn’t the Theme Template files override the original WP files? That’s the way it works for index.php and a few others, right?
    (not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Thanks Beel for the help. At least I’ll be able to make the change I need now.)
    ** If I removed sidebar.php from the WP Root, (or renamed it) would it use the sidebar.php file? I hate to do that if I decided to switch to a theme that didn’t contain a sidebar.php file though.

That depends on the theme. Kubrick does not use wp-header.php, wp-footer.php, or wp-sidebar.php at all. If the theme author copies wp-header.php into their theme directory as header.php and preserves the lines that include wp-header.php, then the above statements are true. Yes, that situation is rather confusing, and we plan to address it.
    motoed, this is probably related to this thread. See my response there. Does turning off the plugin make a difference?

rboren, if you are addressing my post then perhaps it was a bit confusing. A sidebar.php in the root directory overrides a sidebar.php in any theme directory, including the Kubrick theme (my experience).
    motoed, if you have a theme that does not have a sidebar.php, it will use wp-sidebar.php. Thus if you don’t want to use the default wp-sidebar, you would just create the sidebar.php in that theme directory (and even copy it into other theme directories). Until it is addressed, you cannot have a sidebar.php in the root and expect a theme to use its own sidebar.php.
    Hope if there was any confusion, it is cleared up now.

What I did to solve the side bar problem was to leave the default theme sidebar called wp-sidebar.php and then for each additional theme, I place sidebar.php in the appropriate folder and called it through the include. Hope that helps. πŸ™‚

A “real world” example of what I was trying to say. πŸ™‚

It would be whatever the default value is, let me check… it is commented out. I will run upstairs, change it and restart my server…

Thread Starter motoed

(@motoed)

I think I’m following all this…
    Ryan: I’m using Kubrick 1.3 (your port) I turned off the Front_Cats plugin… and still get the same results.
    When I modify the Sidebar.php file in the kubrick folder (through the theme editor) The changes aren’t visible (even deleting everything inside the <div> and just putting TEXT in it.
    I wasn’t quite following some of hte php.ini that you and beel were saying about. I haven’t made any revisions to your Kubrick index.php regarding the sidebar… so I would assume it should pull the kubrick sidebar.
    (my Kubrick Theme index.php file starts with this code:)
    <?php include “header.php”; ?>
    <?php include “sidebar.php”; ?>
    (I moved the sidebar to the top of the content to make floating it to the left side easier.)

Thread Starter motoed

(@motoed)

I think I’m following all this…
    Ryan: I’m using Kubrick 1.3 (your port) I turned off the Front_Cats plugin… and still get the same results.
    When I modify the Sidebar.php file in the kubrick folder (through the theme editor) The changes aren’t visible (even deleting everything inside the <div> and just putting TEXT in it.
    I wasn’t quite following some of hte php.ini that you and beel were saying about. I haven’t made any revisions to your Kubrick index.php regarding the sidebar… so I would assume it should pull the kubrick sidebar.
    (my Kubrick Theme index.php file starts with this code:)
    <?php include "header.php"; ?><?php include "sidebar.php"; ?>
    (I moved the sidebar to the top of the content to make floating it to the left side easier.)

Is the theme editor actually saving the changes? IE do you have permissions?
    Im sure its a stupid question, but you never know..

rboren: I saw the recent changes (last night) in the CVS and was wondering if some of them were not related to this issue of sidebar.php in the root overriding the sidebar in the template. I ask because I must need to change something else as the root sidebar still loads.

You might want to deactive and reactivate the kubrick theme, that works for me when playing with the header and side bar on my church site.

Excellent. Preliminary results are in and you are right. Though it would be nice if the files had their own directory, like “default” (I have other nontheme related files in the wp-content directory). BUT this is good news since I want to modify the default files for my theme switcher and this alleviates editing wp-sidebar, etc.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘1.3-Alpha 5 – Sidebar problem…’ is closed to new replies.