• ancawonka

(@ancawonka)

Hello there,

I’ve done some searching in these forums and I’m not getting warm and fuzzy feelings about 1 and 1 hosting, as far as hosting WordPress sites is concerned.

Should I tell my client to get hosting somewhere else? They are currently on 1 and 1 shared hosting, and are hoping to move to a more dynamic website using WordPress.

Thanks!

Anca.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • kim09

(@kim09)

Hi,

I used 1&1 and am still using it (but not for wordpress) To me they’re very good, but it’s just quite expensive. I took basic package which doesn’t support mySQL, and using another host for wordpress. In my opinion, 1&1 is fine.

esmi

(@esmi)

Like any large hosting company, people will have had very different experiences with 1&1. Plus, it’s worth bearing in mind that people rarely post about good hosting experiences whilst ranting about bad experiences is all too easy.

I had no problems running a couple of WP sites on 1&1 last year but then I didn’t need to use their support,

Thread Starter ancawonka

(@ancawonka)

Thanks Esmi! That’s the type of anecdotal evidence I’m hoping to hear.

Chris_K

(@handysolo)

I have some clients on ’em. I don’t love them, but WordPress runs OK there. I’ve had to add some stuff to .htaccess to get the updates to work, but other than that… they’re OK.

esmi

(@esmi)

Oh yes – forgot about the .htaccess addition that was needed. It’s just a matter of adding AddType x-mapp-php5 .php to the top of the file, if I remember correctly.

fangfoo

(@fangfoo)

IMHO their support leaves a lot to be desired but if you have time or are experienced they are a good economic host.

A little off topic but related sort of. The thing that gives me the hardest time is making the DNS glue records because the interface is so poor. I mention it here just in case any one else is stuck on them.

Simply:

A glue record is an A record in your own domain file that points to a DNS server inside that domain.

On 1&1 (after moving the domain to them) you need to create a subdomain (i.e. dns.your-domain.com) then wait for it to get fully created. Once created you go the the EDIT dns settings menu and click “other IP” then set the dns servers IP there.

Now you can go back to your root domain (your-domain.com) and point the DNS record from 1&1 or your old host to your dns.your-domain.com address. Your domain will be back up as soon as the information propagates with all your old records and manageable by you directly now.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘1 and 1 Hosting – Is it still bad?’ is closed to new replies.