This plugin contains a modified version of Sphider, furthermore the version of this plugin is based on the version of Sphider that has been integrated with. For Sphider bugs, please see the Official Sphider website. If you've determined that it's a WordPress related bug, let us know by posting a question in the WordPress support forums!
Why did we create this plugin? Vizion Interactive is a Search Engine Optimization company and we believe that site-based search is very important. It can provide insight as to which keywords you could target, as well as determine if your visitors are finding what they are looking for as they browse your website.
If you are able to get this plugin to work on WordPress versions earlier than 2.7, let us know by contacting us through our website
Sphider is a popular open-source web spider and search engine. It includes an automated crawler, which can follow links found on a site, and an indexer which builds an index of all the search terms found in the pages. It is written in PHP and uses MySQL as its back end database (requires version 4 or above for both).
WordPress Integration - Only available from Sphider for WordPress
- Automatic Page Reindex: After Adding, Updating, or Deleting a Page / Post, Sphider will now reindex that page or remove it from the index
- Unified administration: Sphider can now be accessed through
Tools >> Sphider
- Unified login: Sphider admin interface now requires you to be logged in as a WordPress administrator
- Unified database: Sphider now uses the WordPress database to store the index and settings instead of a separate database
- Organized tables: Sphider uses the WordPress table prefix to keep the tables cleanly organized and easy to navigate
- Installation and Upgrades: Updates have been streamlined to keep your Sphider installation up to date
Spidering and Indexing
- Performs full text indexing.
- Can index both static and dynamic pages.
- Respects robots.txt protocol, and nofollow and noindex tags.
- Follows server side redirections.
- Allows spidering to be limited by depth (ie maximum number of clicks from the starting page), by (sub)domain or by directory.
- Allows spidering only the urls matching (or not matching) certain keywords or regular expressions.
- Supports indexing of pdf and doc files (using external binaries for file conversion).
- Allows resuming paused spidering.
- Possbility to exclude common words from being indexed.
- Supports AND, OR and phrase searches
- Supports excluding words (by putting a '-' in front of a word, any page including the word will be omitted from the results).
- Option to add and group sites into categories
- Possibility to limit searching to a given category and its subcategories.
- Possibility of searcing in a specified domain only.
- "Did you mean" search suggestion on mistyped queries.
- Context-sensitive auto-completion on search terms (a la Google Suggest)
- Word stemming for english (searching for "run" finds "running", "runs" etc)
- Includes a sophisticated web based administration interface
- Supports indexing via a web interface as well as from commandline - easy to set up cron jobs.
- Comprehensive site and search statistics
- Simple template system - easy to integrate into a site