This is by far the easiest, fastest, and most user-friendly way you will ever create fully configured sites on your multisite networks. As with everything we do, Never Settle is fanatical about simplifying user tasks to an absolute bare and joyful minimum without sacrificing the complex functionality going on behind the scenes. You will not find another site cloner that comes anywhere close to how easy this is to use.
The NS Cloner will take any existing site on your WordPress multisite network and clone it into a new site that is completely identical in theme & theme settings, plugins & plugin configurations, content, pictures, videos, and site settings. Everything is preserved and intelligent replacements are made so that the new site settings reflect your choices for the name and title of the new site as well as other automated background housekeeping to make sure the new site works exactly the same way as if you had taken the time to set it all up manually.
If you want even more functionality, check out our Pro version!
Standard Precautions and Notes
- This plugin ONLY works on WordPress Multisite and is not for use on single site installations.
- It now supports both subdomain and subdirectory mode! It will auto-detect and auto-render appropriate UI.
- It now supports cloning the root site at ID=1! But please be especially careful with this feature. Multisite plugins like BuddyPress add tables at the main (wp_) level of the database. There are also several global tables that apply to the network and NOT to the core site. We are supporting an exclusion on these global tables and BuddyPress tables out of the gate so that they don't get cloned to all your new sites which will have wp_ID_ as a prefix instead of wp_. But tables for other network level plugins that don't apply to the clone could still get coppied by the Cloner due to its automation and inability to be aware of the table structure of every plugin out there.
- We always try to help, but we cannot promise support to users for this Free version especially related to cloning the root site do to the potential complexities involved from environment to environment.
- We have used the NS Cloner on production systems for months and months without issue. That doesn't mean your scenario won't find some new condition that could cause you some headaches. Unlikey, but always possible. We recommend getting familiar with it on a test system before you deploy it to a critical network.
- And for the love - backup your data. This plugin operates at the database level to work its magic. We've run it hundreds of times on our own sites and client sites, and tested it thoroughly. It's safe. But don't take our word for it.
Typical Workflow for using the NS Cloner
- Set up 1 or more "template" sites exactly the way you want your clones to start out
- Go to your Network Dashboard > Sites > NS Cloner
- Select the "template" site you that want to clone, type the name of the new site, and put in it's Title
- Clone Away!
Yes, it really is that easy.
Primary Use Cases
- Developers who host and manage multiple client sites in their own multisite environment - this will allow you to rapidly roll out new baseline sites with all your favorite standard plugins and configurations in place - no more tedious manual repetitive entry.
- Organizations which provide "member" sites and want to be able to reduce the site spin up time to almost nothing.
- Affiliates that host numerous sites through Multisite and are looking for a way to increase reach and decrease deployment times.
- Designers who want to be able to create several versions of sites to test and play with different theme designs in parallel without having to re-install all the same plugins and base themes over and over.