What are the SIGNIFICATIVE differences between NextCellent and NextGEN 1.9.13?
- Plugin will detect if NextGEN is installed and it will deativate itself. You'll need to deactivate NextGEN in order to properly use NextCellent.
- Plugin will deactivate if you install and activate any NextGEN version (any version).
- Minimal text changes to let the user know what plugin is running. This would affect translated texts in some cases.
What are the SIGNIFICATIVE differences between this NextCellent and NextGEN 2.x.x?
- New NextGEN (2.0.x and ahead) uses a completely redesigned framework. Compatibility at code level could be close to none. Being said that, most/all plugins depending on NextGEN would need an internal redesign to work with NextGEN 2.0.x
I'm going to install the plugin on a fresh site. Any recommendations?
- None than usual. NextCellent is a FULL plugin which works with WordPress. Follow the installation procedure!
I'm currently using NextGEN. How can I switch from NextGEN to NextCellent?
- Install NextCellent plugin but do not activate. If you accidentally activate it will tell you that it cannot be activated along with NextGEN.
- Deactivate NextGEN plugin.
- Activate NextCellent
- Play around
Can I go back and switch to NextGEN if NextCellent is not convincing?
- Absolutely, just activate NextGEN and NextCellent will deactivate itself automatically
I prefer using NextGEN, how can I uninstall NextCellent plugin without loosing my pictures/album/galleries?
- Assuming you have both plugins installed:
- If you are unsure, backup the site first(!)
- Be sure NextCellent is deactivated
- MANUALLY remove NextCellent plugin folder (usually nextcellent-gallery-nextgen-legacy). DO NOT use traditional WordPress uninstall procedure. Remember: if you run the uninstall procedure you are wipping out your images/galleries(!)
- Reactivate NextGEN (if it was deactivated)
- That's all
I switched to NextCellent, how can I uninstall the NextGEN plugin without loosing my pictures/album/galleries?
- Assuming you have both plugins installed:
- If you are unsure, I backup the site first(!)
- Be sure NextGEN is deactivated
- MANUALLY remove NextGEN plugin folder(usually NextGEN-gallery) . DO NOT use traditional WordPress uninstall procedure. Remember: if you run the uninstall procedure you are wipping out your images/galleries(!)
- Activate NextCellent (if it was deactivated)
- That's all
I have NextGEN 1.9.13 or older, should I install NextCellent?
- Good question. NextCellent makes no significatives differences at this current stage, except minimal text changes and NextGEN detection to avoid user confusion. Aside that, it should be identical, handling your galleries without problems. This is a starting point to anyone using older NextGEN version.
If I have NextGEN 2.x.x, should I install NextCellent?
- In case NextGEN is working right for you and you had never a problem into transition from 1.9.x to 2.x.x, you can safely ignore NextCellent.
- If you are coming from older NextGEN versions (1.9.13 and earlier) and for some reason you want an alternative development path, give this plugin a try.
- There is no guarantee about compatibility with future NextGEN releases.
I am a site owner , would NextCellent be a good option?
- If you want to keep the older plugin version, choose NextCellent.
- If you have a lot of sites with customized galleries, choose NextCellent.
- If you have a site with a lot of customized code connected with older NextGEN versions, choose NextCellent.
- If you are getting performance problems, go with NextCellent.
- If you need peace of mind right now, go with NextCellent.
- If you are managing large amounts of sites, and you need update-and-forget without FTP (like InfiniteWP or ManageWP), go with NextCellent.
- if you need a STABLE plugin codebase without suprising code changes choose NextCellent.
- NextCellent is a place where you can download and install currently an older, stable version. And when I say 'older' is completely different of saying obsolete. We (the users an me) are taking a different development path, picking up the old, good code and working from there.
I am a developer , would be wise to create plugins based on NextCellent?
- YES. NextCellent is a branch from NextGEN 1.9.13, I will do my best to keep it stable. I can assure the code will lack of dramatic changes over the time, unless there is a big need to do that.
Are you related with Alex Rabe or PhotoCrati?
- I feel closely related with the NextGEN Community. Few months ago I choose NextGEN as essential tools for making wordpress sites. I think Alex Rabe work is great and also Photocrati's work. However, I also feel there is a need to be covered between the past and present NextGEN versions and NextCellent is an alternative to most people so they can sleep with peace of mind.
Will NextCellent continue evolving?
- YES. Current version has many things to be improved. Versions will be numbered as 1.9.x avoiding conflicting NextGEN numbering. NextCellent will respect current configuration and database table format, so you can switch to NextGEN version (theoretically) safely.
Will NextCellent Gallery work with my theme?
Will NextCellent work with my NextGEN Galleries?
- If you are an older NextGEN user and you have not migrated to the new NextGEN Gallery, this plugin will work for you. If you already migrated to new NextGEN and want to go back, you should try this scenario. I can't answer that right now as September 2013 without further analysis.
Which is better: NextGEN or NextCellent?
NextGEN and NextCellent came from the same root. However, NextGEN 2.x born from a completely different code. It is thought for the future. This has generated some discussion on the forums and with every developer I talked about, aside a growing list of things to be fixed. NextCellent is a mitigation to the situation. Can't be comparable at this point.
NextCellent will inherit all the code from version 1.9.13 which is both good and bad.
Why then the name NextCellent instead NextGEN Legacy for example? =
- Because I believe there is space to improve the plugin while listening the community. It is likely this version continue evolving while NextGEN follows its own path. Can't be two plugins with same name and following different directions, can be? That would be SO confusing for WordPress users.
Will NextCellent work with new NextGEN (2.0.x) side by side?
- This plugin will automatically deactivate if you attempt to do so. This is a way to protect you avoiding conflicts.
Will NextCellent work with NextGEN plugins and subplugins?
Nextcellent will work with all plugins which worked for NextGEN version 1.9.13 or earlier. However be warned many developers already started (and finished) making the migration to new NextGEN version.
We are testing case by case on the compatibility list for plugins http://wpgetready.com/wiki/nextcellent-plugin/compatibility-list/
= Wait, I'm using flash gallery along imagerotator.swf but I cannot find it in this plugin!
The reason is very simple: I cannot include non-GPL compatible code inside the plugin , according WordPress.org policies.
But you can. Please download it from http://www.longtailvideo.com and put in the plugin's root.
Are the galleries flash based?
Are the galleries mobile friendly?
What is the difference between a gallery and an album?
- In the simplest of terms, Galleries contain your images and Albums contain your Galleries. Albums act as links and placeholders to quickly and easily navigate your galleries - Galleries will actually display your images.
Can I upload multiple images at once?
- Yes, you can batch upload entire galleries at a time.
Can I password protect galleries?
- Yes, WordPress allows you to password protect pages by default - which includes all galleries and content for the entire page. Password protection of pages can be turned on and off at any time, with just a few clicks.
Can I add a watermark to the images/slideshows?
- Yes, you can add text or image watermarks to your gallery images.
Can I crop thumbnails?
- Yes, each thumbnail image can be individually adjusted to suit your needs.
Is there pagination for galleries?
- Yes, and you can adjust the amount of images to be shown on a page at any time.
Can I customize the lightbox?
- Yes, the lightbox can be configured with multiple options directly from the Dashboard, and there are multiple CSS styles which can be applied and modified as well.
Can I add HTML to the captions?
- Yes, caption areas are fully HMTL capable.
Can I add an external links to galleries?
- Since the captions are fully HTML capable, you can add external links and any other type of mark up you wish.
Is NextCellent Gallery available in foreign languages?
- You should go to original NextGEN plugin to check this out. click here to find out more.
- Many users are creating their respective translations and they will be included, along respective credits. Thanks to them!!!