New Flexibility plus Enhanced User Experience
We all know that sometimes 404 Errors happen on our sites. And sometimes users search but get no results. I believe it's better to serve users some highly customized and maintained pages/content areas for these cases. What better to do that with Widgets in WordPress? -- In my opinion Genesis Framework could improve here so that's why I just made this little plugin to FINALLY have these two cases maintainable EASILY via your widgets admin. Just place in a search widget, your last blog posts, an image widget, some explanation via text widget, some galleries... You got it. The possibilities are endless. Finally.
A great helper tool for Genesis Child Themes!
Please note: The plugin requires the Genesis Theme Framework, a paid premium product released by StudioPress/ Copyblogger Media LLC (via studiopress.com).
Advantages & Benefits
- Helps users stay longer on your site because you can give options like search form, recent posts, introductory text, image(s) etc.
- Hugely improved user experience! (Helps decrease the "Oops, I broke the internet..." experiences...)
- Easily customizeable for any webmaster!
- Works across Genesis child themes - so you can switch your "skin" but not loosing this tool :-)
- Provides extra Search Form Widget with more options than the default WordPress core widget.
- Handy search form Shortcode!
- Ideal for multilingual websites (for example with "WPML"): Much better handling of 404/Not found content for different languages. -- See bottom of FAQ section here for more info on that.
- Small & lightweight plugin tool: Just activate plugin, place your widgets and you're done!
- Adds a new widget area (Sidebar) for the "404 Error Page"
- Adds a new widget area (Sidebar) for the "Search not found" page (if there no results on search)
- Adds a new Search Form Widget - which gives you more options than the default WordPress "Search" widget! (Search text, Submit text etc.)
- Adds 2 Shortcodes: a customizeable Search form to place anywhere Shortcodes are supported, plus Shortcode for this plugin's widget areas.
- Special Bonus for bbPress 2.3+: make the forum search not found content/status widgetized - take full control!
- Adds a few CSS styles for the content area to properly divide widgets with some more space (all other styling is recommended via your child theme)
- Included are two handy helper functions (via child theme) for applying the Genesis 'Full-Width' layout option for one or both 'not found' cases! -- See the FAQ section for more info on that!
- For developers & advanced users: plugin provides lots of filter and acton hooks throughout for easy customization if ever needed.
- All markup is fully compatible with Genesis 2.0+, that means for HTML5 if the child theme supports it (is done all automatically & conditionally under the surface!).
- Integrated default Genesis filters
genesis_search_button_text for default strings :-).
- Fully internationalized! Real-life tested and developed with international users in mind!
- Fully WPML compatible!
- Fully Multisite compatible, you can also network-enable it if ever needed (per site use is recommended).
- Tested with WordPress versions 3.4 branch (plus former 3.3 branch) - also in debug mode (no stuff there, ok? :)
- English (default) - always included
- German (de_DE) - always included
- Spanish (es_ES) - user-submitted - currently 37% complete for v1.5.0
- .pot file (
genesis-widgetized-notfound.pot) for translators is also always included :)
- Easy plugin translation platform with GlotPress tool: Translate "Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404"...
- Your translation? - Just send it in
A plugin from deckerweb.de and GenesisThemes
- I am open for your suggestions and feedback - Thank you for using or trying out one of my plugins!
- Drop me a line @deckerweb on Twitter
- Follow me on my Facebook page
- Or follow me on +David Decker on Google Plus ;-)