CM Glossary Tooltip is a plugin for WordPress that enables you to parse posts or pages for defined glossary terms, by adding links to a glossary term page that contains the definition of the term used.
The CM Glossary Tooltip plugin, when enabled, displays a tooltip containing the definition when users hover over the term.
CM Tooltip creates a glossary index with all terms used. Visit Plugin Site or view the plugin video review
- Dictionary - Creates a dictionary of specifically used terms on your site.
- Tooltip - Adds tooltip as an anchor to predefined terms that are contained in your site.
- Knowledge base - Creates a knowledge base of useful terms and definitions.
- Encyclopedia - Builds an internal Encyclopedia for your site.
- Synonyms - Keeps and displays synonyms of terms that you are using
- Lexicon - Builds a lexicon of terms.
- Vocabulary - Builds a vocabulary of custom words and expressions.
- Explanations - Explains the meanings of words in your posts or pages.
- Translate - Translates terms and definitions into any defined language using Google Translate.
Demo & User Guide
Visit Plugin Site
See basic demo of the plugin here
For more information please visit plugin detailed User Guide.
- Automatically generates a Glossary index of terms. Example
- Ability to show your Glossary index list as tiles Example
- Each glossary term has its own unique post. Example
- Tooltip window can optionally appear when term is hovered over by the cursor. Example-Check Information Architecture
- Term page can optionally be linked directly from posts or pages. Example-Click on Information Architecture
- Includes several filters to optimize the Tooltip window and limit the length of description displayed.
- Prevents the glossary from parsing text, when needed, by using a Shortcode [glossary_exclude] text [/glossary_exclude].
- Support Excerpts (if they exist) as a hover-over text that appears in the Tooltip window.
- Controls the location and area where the Tooltip appears (pages, posts, homepage)
- Controls the settings in cases where the Tooltip appears more than once.
- Supports UTF-8
Pro Version Features
The CM Tooltip Pro version adds a layer of powerful features to the Super Tooltip Glossary plugin.
- Optimized for Speed - Parsing engine is optimized for speed and can hold many thousands more terms without slowing down the site
- Permalink - Tooltip permalink can be changed.
- Anchors inside Tooltip - Tooltip can include anchors which the user can click. View Demo - Hover over HTML
- Mobile Friendly - Detects Mobile devices and displays the Tooltip only when term is clicked. Tooltip includes a link to the term page. View Image
- Pagination - The CM ToolTip Pro version gives you the ability to add pagination to the glossary page on the both server side and the client side of the plugin. (Support is provided to speed up extra large glossaries). Administrators can also control the number of items that appear on each page. View Demo
- Widget - The CM ToolTip Pro version includes a glossary widget that shows a random selection of a number of specified terms with a link to the Glossary index. View Demo (Scroll down and look at the right side for Glossary), View Image
- Link Style - The Pro version of the CM ToolTip gives you the ability to change term link style. See Image that shows settings
- Tooltip Style - Ability to change Tooltip shape, color and border. View Demo (Highlight any term) , See Image that shows settings
- Import / Export - Import and Export your glossary file to and from .CSV format. View Image
- Internal Links - Options to add a link back to your glossary page from each term page. View Demo
- Editor Button - Editor button to support glossary exclusions. View Image
- Synonyms - Users of the CM Tooltip Pro can add several Synonyms for each term, so that the Tooltip is be made to appear for all Synonyms in posts or pages that are listed in the Glossary index View Demo, Glossary Term Page: View Image
- Related Post - Shows all related posts and pages for each glossary term. This option is cached to enhance performance View Image, View Image that shows settings
- Multisite - Support for WP Multisite.
- Gratitude Message - Does not include the CMinds Gratitude message in the footer.
- Singular and Plural - Supports different variations of nouns that allow the user to specify a definition for each term according to the specific use of the word. The Tooltip will appear for all variations in all posts and pages. View Image
- Glossary term supports more posting options.
- Related Glossary terms - Relates Glossary terms to a specified term which is displayed according to control settings. View Demo
- Localization - All labels are external in the settings and can be localized easily.
- Custom Characters - Support for custom characters in alphabetical index View Image View Demo in Finnish More in Finnish
- Definition in Index - Show the Terms AND the Definitions in an Alphabetically sorted index. View Image
- Google Translate Integration - Ability to display translated words into the language of your choice for all terms and definitions, uses the Google Translate API View Image, View Image from Settings
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary Integration - Ability to display the dictionary definition of a term from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary for all words on your Term page and Tooltip. View Demo
- Merriam-Webster Thesaurus Integration - Ability to display the thesaurus synonyms and antonyms from the online Merriam-Webster Thesaurus in your Term page and Tooltip. View Demo
- Glossary Search - Glossary index page is included within a local search engine. Demo
- Glossary Categories - Glossary categories are supported and can be used in glossary page, also set with a Shortcode. View Demo , Categories in Glossary Index
- Shortcode - Glossary Shortcode. [glossary cat="cat name"] allows you to display terms from a specific category anywhere on your site View Demo
- Search & Replace Tool - Includes an on the fly search and replace tool to replace text or html code in your posts and pages with newly replaced content. View Image
- Custom Links - Manually add custom links from your Term page View Image
- Exclude Term - Glossary terms can be excluded from the Glossary index and Tooltip. View Image
- Term Target Link - Terms are linked and can be targeted to go to an external or custom link View Demo - Click on Ajax and you will be taken outside of site
- Term page Template - Term page uses a template that can be edited and changed.
- Change tooltip font - Select the Tooltip font from 8 available Google fonts View Image
Visit Pro Version Page
Code and Style Issues
Alphabetical index for the Glossary index is based on jQuery ListNav Plugin
More Plugins by CreativeMinds
- CM Ad Changer - Manage, Track and Report Advertising Campaigns Across Sites. Can turn your Turn your WP into an Ad Server
- CM Download Manager - Allows users to upload, manage, track and support documents or files in a download directory listing database for others to contribute, use and comment upon.
- CM Answers - Allows users to post questions and answers (Q&A) in a Stack-overflow style community forum which is easy to use, customize and install. Comes with Social integration Shortcodes.