WordPress allow you to put uploads in year- and month-based folders. Custom Upload Dir is somewhat smarter. You can construct paths from variables like post title,
category, post author, post date and many more.
I created Custom Upload Dir ensure my file system is always mirroring the site structure. This ensures I can always find files manually when needed. It also simplifies backups and plattform migrations.
The screenshots might help explain.
If you value my plugins, please help me out by Flattr-ing them! Or perhaps send me a book? Used ones are fine! :)
Changelog v. 3.4 (2013-02-09)
- Added %file_ext% to sort by file type
- Added tentative support for uploads from WordPress apps.
- Removed setting for "Base upload folder" as WP core no longer exposes this
- Cleared out some PHP error on the admin page
- Fixed leaking CSS on admin page
Changelog v. 3.3.1 (2011-12-27)
- Fixed poor sanitization of post slugs (%post_name%)
- Added %post_parent%
- Fixed settings not always initializing
Changelog v. 3.3 (2011-12-18)
- Support for WordPress 3.3
- Support for tags and categories
- Support for custom taxonomies
- Added %current_user%, %permalink%
- Added all permalink tags
- Added test-function to admin page
Older changelogs moved here.