For WordPress 2.7 and above:
- Navigate to the Plugins >> Add New page in your blog's administration section.
- Search for AZIndex.
- Click Install and follow the on-screen instructions.
For older versions of WordPress:
- Download the plugin zip file.
- Upload the plugin contents into your WordPress installation's plugin directory.
- The plugin's .php files and readme.txt should be installed in the 'wp-content/plugins/azindex/' directory.
- From the Plugin Management page, activate the AZIndex plugin.
(Note: if you haven't installed the One Click Plugin Updater plugin by Janis Elsts yet, then what are you waiting for?)
Getting Started (these instructions are for WordPress 2.7 and above):
- To create a new index, go to Tools >> AZIndex and click on the 'Add New' link.
- Enter a title for your index and select the options you want.
- Click the 'Add Index' button and a new index, along with a new unpublished blog page, will be created.
- To view the contents of your new index page, go to Pages and preview the page from there.
- Make sure you try out all the options. They can be used to tailor the look and feel of the index to your satisfaction.
- Once you are happy with the results, publish the index page (from Pages) so your users can access it.
- Hint: Consider using custom fields in your posts to set the headings and sub-headings of your index.
For example, if you are indexing book reviews you have posted, you can create an index that uses custom fields
to access the authors' names as headings, and the book titles as sub-headings. That way you can have a
well organized index without having to mess with the titles of your reviews.