Display image (if present) and/or name for the author of a post, or for all authors on the blog.
<?php c2c_the_author_image(); ?> as a replacement for
<?php the_author() ?> or
<?php get_avatar(); ?> in index.php (and/or any other post templates) to display an image for a post's author (inside "the loop")
<?php c2c_wp_list_authors_images(); ?> as a replacement for
<?php wp_list_authors(); ?> in the sidebar section of your site to list all authors for the blog using an image and/or text.
The plugin also provides a simple widget for listing authors.
Process by which the image is located and/or text used:
- If a post has an 'author_image' custom field defined, the plugin checks if the value is the valid name of an image in the defined image directory. If not, it appends each of the defined image extensions, in turn, to the custom field's value, then checks if an image can be found.
- If no image has been found yet, it looks in the image directory for a file with a name that is the author's login name with a file extension matching one of the ones defined in image extensions.
- If no image has been found yet, it looks in the image directory for a file with a name that is the author's ID with a file extension matching one of the ones defined in image extensions.
- If no image has been found yet and Gravatar support is enabled, it then asks Gravatar for the avatar associated with the author (based on author's email address).
- If no image has been found yet and a blank/generic image has been defined, then the blank image is used as the author's avatar.
- If an image has been found and the "Show author name as well?" setting is true, or if no author image has been found and "Show author name if image is found?" setting is true, then the author's name is appended/used.
- The plugins admin options page allows you to control if the author's name should appear alongside the author image or not, if the author name should be shown in the event no author image could be found, the image directory, the support image extensions, and if and what you want the author image to link to.
- Images output by
c2c_the_author_image() are defined with class="author_image" for stylesheet manipulation
- Images output by
c2c_wp_list_authors_images() are defined with class="list_author_image" for stylesheet manipulation
Tip:: You can take advantage of the $image_dir argument to display different author images under different contexts, i.e. locate your images in different directories 'wp-content/images/authors/small/' and 'wp-content/images/authors/large/' and decide on context where to get the image(s) from.
Links: Plugin Homepage | Plugin Directory Page | Author Homepage