A better configuration of TinyMCE - headings and tables
The current bundled configuration of TinyMCE lacks some important features:
- Sub headings (will improve search engine rankning)
- Tables (difficult do do manual markup for)
One could also consider an acronym/abbreviation insert button and a button to markup parts of the content as being in a different language.
There are also some errors that should be removed:
- Justified text formatting button is not required (research has shown that justified text is diffcult to read)
- Inserting an image and adding an image description creates both title and alt attributes. The title attribute could be removed.
- The buttons for strong emphasis and emphasis has icons for bold and italics. This will lead to people using markup for reasons not intended.
With these simple changes WordPress blogs will be accessible for many more users, get better search engine visibility and the world will be a better place!
the errors are not really errors
- justified text is very useful in certain circumstances, and what research? It has been used in Newspapers for 100's of years with little problem.
- Title and Alt are not the same correct, and image description doesn't really describe the title - however title is an important attribute - so really should get its own field.
- The most common usage for bold and italics are for their respective semantic usage (strong emphasis and emphasis) if someone uses it incorrectly in their writing - then that's a shame, they shouldn't be putting stylistic terms in their post - that's what CSS is for.
The last one especially would actually DEgrade wordpress, not improve it.
A few of these features are already there — hitting ALT+SHIFT+V (Firefox) or ALT+V (IE) in the visual editor brings up an 'advanced' toolbar including several levels of headings, a few other styling options, and great 'Paste text from Word'-functionality.
Note that I agree that most styling options are better left to the CSS.
codeispoetry, why has no-one told me about ALT+SHIFT+V before!? This is incredible! All these months of hacking away at TinyMCE to try and get it to behave...
Peterkz - your suggestions about the headings and tables are good but the bold and italic buttons need to stay. Like DarkCryst said it's up to authors to use them correctly. Also, why remove functionality? This goes for justified text too, it's up to authors to use it wisely.
Why in tarnation is ALT+SHIFT+V so hidden? That's ridiculous. I just filed an enhancement request to expose this better.
You don't need alt+shift+V to expose the second level of Visual Editor toolbar. Click the 'kitchen sink' icon, it looks like a color palette on the far right side, and the second row will appear.
RSS feed for this topic
This topic has been closed to new replies.