WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Ideas

301 Moved (Blog) Permanently (To...)

1. kwiat

Please implement a feature that allows me to switch on a 301 status code for my whole blog.

Not at least for WordPressMU this would free a huge amount of unused domains and weblogs - for example for lots of people start blogging somewhere at wordpress.com and then move with wordpress.org's CMS to their own webhosts.

Search engines would then - as users directly acessing the old blog - be fair and correctly forwarded to the new weblog and bloggers can keep the publicity they have received in the current search engine's index.

Thank you very much.

Posted: 7 years ago #
  2. dje

If this were done at wordpress.com it would just encourage spammers. (You can get your own domain at wordpress.com now if that is important and you users and permalinks will be redirected).
    If others want it on their webhosts then they can surely use .htaccess?

3. timethief

I agree dje. Please spend the $10 on purchasing a domain.

4. drmike

Disagree. It would do nothing but encourage spammers and we already have enough of those.

Plus I thought this system was for regular wordpress.

5. Mark Jaquith
    WordPress Lead Dev

Can be done with 2 lines in index.php Doesn't make sense to implement it in WordPress... if you've moved, you don't want WP to have to load completely before redirecting.

And yes, this system is for WordPress, not WordPress.com

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

• Rating

114 Votes
  • Status

This is plugin territory