WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Ideas

2.5: bring back single screen widgets drag-n-drop!!

1. GmailPro

my only gripe with 2.5: to move a widget from left to right column, i now have to click through multiple screens ...remove from one, refresh view for other, move to other then move into position and save...why did 2.5 introduce a new cumbersome approach to widget management????

Posted: 6 years ago #
  2. GmailPro

btw, i bring this up because almost all themes now support widgets - and it's a huge feature for 2.3 and up - but making users jump through hoops to administer seems a bit tedious...i much prefer the 2.3 way of doing things, with one screen for all widgets, drag into left or right in one screen, just so much easier and faster....

3. wrathchild

I agree that the new widget management scheme seems like a downgrade.

4. Jairus

Lack of drag and drop is a dealbreaker for several of my clients. I'll be keeping them at 2.3 until there's a drag-and-drop plugin/interface developed.

5. objectnull

Yeah, I don't like the new widget system either. Drag and drop is much better.

6. Monika

I do not use Widgets formyself,
    but before WP 2.5 widgets are a good *visual* tool for *no coder* user, for user who need to see what they are doing.

now you can't see what you are doing and you have to click so many times,

if you open a text widget and try to close it without *saving* all text is gone in the galaxy of bites and bytes.;)

WP 2.5 gives widgets another *stamp*-they are no longer for *dummy* user, they are for *professional* user.

drag and drop is one but to visualize what you are doing if you use widgets ..bring this feature back

7. bryan868

I completely agree! We MUST have drag and drop back. Additionally, it's now IMPOSSIBLE to move a text or rss widget from one sidebar to another.

When you remove it from one sidebar, it automatically loses all its data.

8. chrisdoth

Also there are many IE6 issues with the new system. Another vote for drag and drop.

9. iamspencer

I'm joining in - I love 2.5 - it has great potential - the widget interface is a disaster. On one of my blogs, I spend a lot of time optimizing the placement of widgets for better ecommerce performance, moving things from the right to the left often. This is a hassle on the new interface. Both sidebars must be visible at all times with drag and drop between them - it's a deal breaker.

Please fix this error in design.

10. ia

Not sure if I understand this idea completely, since there is a bit of drag and drop in the new widgets interface (reordering them). But I can't drag the added widgets *out* of the sidebar. You have to click on the header and choose "delete" when it expands. Not very intuitive. In general, I agree that the old widgets interface was better. Again, the present one is a lot less intuitive.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

• Rating

45 Votes
  • Status

This idea has been implemented