WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Ideas

2 Essential Media Manager Improvements (Directory + Add to Gallery from Library)

1. antoinicolas

Media Management in WordPress gets soon very impractical when having a few tens of media files to handle.

I can see many suggestions are made to improve the Media Manager.
    Also, it seems not really easy to have some improvements to it.
    So I identified 2 that seems essential to me.

1st) Ability to manage media files using directories.
    Ability to create/select and maybe delete subdirectories would be welcomed.

2nd) Ability to add media files to the gallery tab from the library.
    As far as I can see, currently the only method is to upload for each post new media files. It leads to duplicates in the Media Library which is very problematic given my initial postulate.

Don't you think ?

Posted: 2 years ago #
  2. Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)
    Administrator

You can already do #2.

Took me a minute to get what you were talking about. At first I thought you were saying you could only add media from posts (which you can do via Media -> Add New, i.e. domain.com/wp-admin/media-new.php)

Then I realized you might be saying that you can't add existing media in a post. Which you can also do. If you add media to your post, there's a tab for 'Media Library' which lets you search for extant images.

3. antoinicolas

Thank you Ipstenu for you fast answer.
    Though, I think we are not discussing about the same thing.

When we want to add a media to a post, we have the 'Add a Media' Popup Iframe, right ?
    When opening it we have 3 tabs in it :
    - From the computer
    - From the web
    - Media Library.

If we upload a new media and save this, a new tab appears called 'Gallery'. In my project, I use this gallery feature.

But I can't manage to add an image which is already in the library to this gallery tab. The only solution found is to re-upload a new copy of the file. This therefore leads to image duplication in the library, which is quite problematic as you can image to maintain an healthy Library.

So I suggest an option to add an image to the gallery tab from the library (without the need to reupload a copy).

I hope this is clear this way ;)

4. Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)
    Administrator

But I can't manage to add an image which is already in the library to this gallery tab.

That is because the gallery tab lists images that are attached to THAT post. And an image can only be attached to one post.

In that situation, I;d suggest using the gallery include:

Comma separated attachment IDs, [gallery include="23,39,45"] will show only the images from these attachments.

Sadly getting the attachment ID is a mother :/

5. antoinicolas

Ok, I now quite understand this limitation.
    May I suggest a larger revamp of the Media Library & Manager then ?

6. taloweb

Yes, I agree with 'antoinicolas', I would like to have:

-capability to attach the same media to multiple posts
    (without writing html)
    -capability to insert a shortcode instead of plain html code, when inserting a single media into a post
    -capability to find all media not used in any post (i.e. a media that is attached but not used, or a file present in /wp-content/uploads but without corresponding media in dashboard and not referentiated in html of posts)

another problem is that if I would like to change image pixel dimensions for small/medium etc this doesn't affect old files, nor links to those files...

Posted: 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

• Rating

11 Votes
  • Status

This idea is under consideration